Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
chefwong

3 Wall Shower - Drop in Tubs

For a standard 5' wide bathroom, with 3 walls, are drop in tubs allowed - taking into account it will also server as showers.

I read somewhere that the regular apron tubs with tile flange is the only tub for this sort of setup.

Waterproofing aside - tile install aside : can a drop in tub be used in this application with the intent that the front of the tub apron will be tiled over.
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Yes it can be done, generally speaking. Not recommended though due to the extra waterproofing required and possibility of failure. Verify with the tub manufacturer and follow their instructions.

Post a link to the tub you have in mind.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
chefwong

I have not even looked at tubs.

In my head, as long as a proper flange (aka-Kerdi/Kerdi fix) was down between the tub and wall, any (tub) could be used as long as it fit the RO.

I may be wrong in making this assumption, hence the inquiry

The built in flange on the tub is the same thing. It's just done for you instead of you doing it yourself.
And, the Kerdi flange IMO will be a bigger seal (wider) than the built in flange..
Unread 06-29-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Koehler makes a drop in tub with flange, using two of them right now.. Don't have the model number in front of me, but want to say 1121-r should be it. We set the tub and the built a thin wall on the front of the tub so that the tiled face is flush with the edge of the tub.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372561515.597403.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  28.8 KB
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
chefwong

I was planning to just use Kerdi around the entire perimeter of the tub and addix with Kerdi Fix and attach to studs as my *flange*.

I did a brief look at tubs. Seems like the acrylics are deeper than CI. 21" H versus 17 1/2. Methinks the wifey would prefer the 17 1/2.
Unread 06-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
chefwong

Greg -

BTW, great looking tile. Is that porcelin look-alike.

I've done some very minimal shopping. They all look to fake to me - both polished and unpolished....but hopefully, I stumble across the *one*
Unread 06-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Even with tile flanges on 3 sides, special attention needs to be paid where the flange stops and the skirt starts. That area we call the top of the tub leg and is a classic spot where leaks occur.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase