Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-26-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
TRAVIS (I.T.M.)

Cement board over gypcrete?

I know it's not specified in the TCNA book but we all know very few jobs are prepped correctly for us.
The gypcrete with hydronic heat is poured over a concrete slab and I need the height up a 1/4. I've never actually installed cement board over concrete although installers I know have, without any issues. Probably will end up doing some self leveling cement but I'm just curious as to the potential problems of just thinsetting the cement board down?

Opinions please.

Thanks

Last edited by TRAVIS (I.T.M.); 05-26-2016 at 04:16 PM.
TRAVIS (I.T.M.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-26-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

I think without priming the Gypcrete with a 50% redguard/H2O ( or similar ) solution then a full strength coat of same, the gypcrete would pull the water out of the mortar too fast to achieve the needed bond and you'd wind up delaminating from or powdering the gypcrete.

Just read this after I posted earlier.....Ditra has an answer in the data sheet
https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...ta%20Sheet.pdf
Unread 05-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

What Greg said. Ditra XL would be a much better choice.

Curious how the new Delta Cruzer tile saw stacks up against Dewalt? Check out the full review and video on DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Portland cement and gypsum based products can cause a new mineral to grow over time between them as a reaction. This can affect the bond strength. It would be best if you sealed the gypsum prior to putting anything down on it with mortar. Something like this might be a good choice: http://www.mapei.com/public/US/produ...Grip_EN_lr.pdf
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2016, 10:41 PM   #5
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Absolutely not, Justin. That's a guaranteed failure.
Gypcrete means that it's probably a suspended wood-framed floor; which has much more deflection than concrete. Cement board is large enough and just stiff enough that when you step down on a spot in the mid section of the board it will act like it is on the fulcrum of a teeter totter, lifting the seam up away from it's adjoining seam; just a micro-amount, but enough to start the process rolling like a snowball. Fasteners are worthless in Gypcrete, and literally no sealer in the world is worth a darn on it (even though several claim to be), because it is so very often installed incorrectly (too wet) that the best bond in the word can only be to the sacrificial top layer that just flakes away.

Justin, go with Jim's Ditra XL idea. Quick, easy, and a much better job you can be proud of.
Unread 05-27-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

Just remember to follow the thin set manufactures prep recommendations for gypsum.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
TRAVIS (I.T.M.)

Thanks for all the input
Unread 05-28-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
PetrH

Ditra will also get you the uncoupling that you absolutely need with hydronic heat anyway.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase