Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
NEPA Remodeling
Custom Home Remodeling

Opinions on Rapid Set For Kerdi?

Installing 3x12 glass over Kerdi. Glass manufacture (Bliss) recommends simply a white modified mortar and did not suggest any particular products, ansi standards, or performance characteristics.

A fella from Schluter suggested a rapid setting mortar, if modified were to be used. He said something about rapid set mortars having more self hydrating components and may perform better over Kerdi.

I don't make a habit of working with rapid setting unless doing repair/replacement work. Looking at TDS, it seems that Laticrete 253R offers the longest pot life. Short pot life will cause me to lose production mixing and cleaning a bunch of small batches or result in a bunch of hardened material in the bucket if I can't install fast enough.

Or should I stick with a typical modified, run fans, and wait 2 weeks for grouting?

Kitchen & Bathroom Remodeling Scranton PA
NEPA Remodeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-30-2016, 05:22 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Both 253R & 254R have decent pot life from my experience. I wouldn't hesitate to use either in your case.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
NEPA Remodeling
Custom Home Remodeling

Thanks, Dana.

I typed that post in a rush and realized I wasn't clear in my question.

To recap, is there a longer pot life available than Laticrete that is available in white?

Will iced (above 40 degrees or Spec'd installation temp range) water increase pot life? There is no AC in this house. I could bring in a window unit if needed as well.

Unread 06-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #4
Peerless Tile
Tile Contractor

Use Ardex X5 and take your time (if you can get your hands on it).....Its a self hydrating type mortar that works VERY well with Kerdi. ( no need for fans and 2 week wait to grout)
Unread 06-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
HS345
Tile Contractor

Another vote for Ardex X-5. And while Schluter might not warranty it, Ardex will.

Versabond white also works well.
Unread 06-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #6
NEPA Remodeling
Custom Home Remodeling

I have pretty much all brands available to me within a 20 minute drive, Ardex is the furthest, but may be worth the trip.

I have no issues waiting for it to dry. The glass door will take 10+ days so I typically don't grout until a few days before hand. There's lots of other work on this home, so I can keep myself busy in other areas.

I'm not overly concerned with it drying since moisture in the center of the tile only needs to travel 1.5" to the edge. I've done test with 2x2 and mosaics on scrap Kerdi panels and it was stuck like glue and dry when pulled apart on day 7.

Unread 07-01-2016, 05:55 AM   #7
HS345
Tile Contractor

Ardex X-5 needs no extended drying time over Kerdi. I know this from hard experience.
Unread 07-01-2016, 08:35 AM   #8
eurob
Not...Sure

I would also consider X77 which has the Microtec technology into it , if a non rapid mortar is preferred .

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #9
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Quote:
Another vote for Ardex X-5. And while Schluter might not warranty it, Ardex will.
I love Ardex products, but I know of a situation where exactly this came up. Ardex failure over Schluter underlayment (not mine). Rep told me he wanted to accept the claim, but corporate said 'let Schluter warrant it'. Rep also said he was trained that there are no mortar failures... deny 100% for any reason you can, regardless of true cause.
Unread 07-04-2016, 12:28 AM   #10
PetrH

I set on Kerdi with Ardex 5 white on a regular basis. I go through one or two bags of Ardex 5 white every week. It's a very nice product and will cure in an oxygen deprived environment. Like others have said, you don't even need to extend your wait to grout time 24 hours should be lots unless you are dealing with a large glass tile.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase