Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
DIYernube

Help with bathroom update

Currently my bathroom has a tub w/shower and a plastic(?) tub surround that has pulled away from the wall,giving water access to the rear of the tub-surround. I know I'm going to find a mess behind there and may possible need to replace some studs. I want to redo with ceramic tile and I can use all the help I can get. This will be only my second tile job,the other only being around a gas fireplace where moisture was not a problem. I've done some reading and have learned about the use of Redgard-type products over cement-based backerboard. Do you think that is the best way for me to go or would you recomend a plastic or rubber moisture barrior? Speaking of moisture barriers,should bat insolation with no paper barrior be the only kind you'd advize? I'm confident the insulation will need replaced because of the condition of the surround that I described above. Thank you
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
bbcamp

William, there are a number of ways to construct a waterproof shower. All will work if done correctly. Study a few of the methods, pick one, and we'll help you with it.

We recommend that only one vapor retarder be installed in your walls. The moisture barrier you install for the shower will suffice, so you don't need a kraft paper backed insulation in the exterior walls. Un-faced is fine; it's also cheap and easy to install.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
DIYernube

Well,I'm seeking advice as to the best way to go about it. Some online info I've read urged the use of Redgard or similar liquid brush-on products,so I suppose I'd like to go that route. If I go with Redgard or similar brush-on produces,what would you estimate to be the amount (in gallons) required? Are there alternatives equally effective with a smaller pricetag? What about the use of a product such as Firestone 45mil EPDM?

This is a tub with a shower.

OK,my math was way off. The wall that will require new concrete board and vapor barrior is about 76sq.ft. The area I intend to tile is about 58sq.ft.

Last edited by DIYernube; 02-22-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Inaccurate measurements posted
DIYernube is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
bbcamp

First, pick a waterproofing membrane that is listed for use under tile. Roofing membranes are for roofs, etc.

For a tub surround, I like the roll-on membranes, like Redgard, Hydroban, etc. I like them especially when you can install the backerboard to overlap the nailing flange. The advantage is that you do not trap water in the backerboard as you can if you use a plastic sheet behind the backerboard as your waterproofer. You probably have ready access to Redgard, so I suggest you download the installation instructions and give them a read. There is a coverage chart in the instructions, but take it with a grain of salt; they are usually "optimistic." I also suggest you purchase a wet film thickness gage to verify you are applying the correct amount of product. The down side of any roll-on membrane is that you are the only QC inspector your walls will see, so it is up to you to do it right.

Read again what I wrote earlier about combining the insulation vapor barrier behind a waterproofing membrane.
Unread 02-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
DIYernube

Thanks,Bob. Would you recomend 3 coats,as some of the other websites I've visited suggested(I just registered here a short while ago). The "wet film thickness gage" is totally new to me,so I'll find and read what is written about them. Never heard of 'em before.
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
DIYernube

I understand now that I should not use paper-backed insolation. Things are starting to "click" in my mind,but I want to know all I can learn BEFORE I tear into it. We have just the one bathroom.
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
bbcamp

Real paint stores have the gages, or you can order one from Laticrete.

Read and follow the instructions that come with the membrane. I cannot stress this enough. The manufacturer will honor his warranty if you do. He will not if you follow the other instructions some guy you never met except on the Internet told you.
Unread 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
DIYernube

Thanks Bob

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase