Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
muskie36

Ceiling & Tub-line Caulk Color???

hi guys/gals,

new to forum and diy novice on tile work; obvious with the sad-sack simple question i am asking but know you can help.

just completely gutted two bathrooms to studs. finished tiling an alcove bath and a 3x5 seated shower stall with exception of caulking joints as last item. will be using 100% silicone to be on safest side even if overkill. after spending thousands on the projects i am not very concerned with those few extra dollars in cost for extra peace of mind. used kerdi board for all walls, and kerdi pan and seat for shower.

wall changes in plane will definitely be color-matched to my light smoke grout, but not sure if top and bottom caulk joints should also be color-matched on the tub project???

is it more professional, preferred, standard, expected for ceiling and tub-line joints to be color-matched or white when ceiling and/or tub are white???

i would appreciate any/all help you can give me on this.
thanking you in advance for your responses, kind regards,
muskie36
Unread 08-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Changes of plane where tile meets tile, tub or pan get 100% silicone. I almost always use color matched acrylic caulk where tile interfaces with painted surface 'cuz paint doesn't stick to silicone (despite advertising hyperbole) which will bite someone's butt sooner or later...

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2014, 12:42 AM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Brian.

Yeah, acrylic caulk at the painted ceiling interface. It's one of the only times I ever use the stuff. Otherwise, it's 100% silicone for most everything else.

As far as your question to 'which color?'...just run a 2" bead of each color at the tub and your particular situation with your particular tile with your particular lighting will make itself known which looks better.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase