Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-05-2018, 10:54 PM   #1
MarvalSam

Updated opinions -- USG Durock vs Kerdi?

Hi guys, I'm wondering if yall have any recent opinions on the USG vs. Kerdi systems. It seems now too that Redguard has jumped into the game with a similar system but I haven't found any reviews (and previous issues and hearing other stories about Redguard leaching doesn't inspire my confidence). I prefer mud pans too, but it's an older house, shower on 2nd floor, so I'd prefer to keep the weight (and time for install) as low as possible. Gracias!
Old 04-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Don't discount Laticrete's Hydroban sheet membrane.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #3
Kman

My answer would be "both".

I've never stopped using the Kerdi drain, but have been using the Durock shower membrane for a while now.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #4
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

I much prefer the kerdi drain over the durock drain. But i like the durock membrane better

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Samantha,

All the products you've mentioned are fine when used as directed. You've mentioned different systems using different products. Chose one and go with it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #6
MarvalSam

Thank you all so much! I'm going to give the Durock system a try this go-around.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:15 AM   #7
Northmen

USG Durock Shower System

The USG waterproof foam tile backer seems to have a distribution problem in certain parts of the country.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

I think it's all parts, Steve. They never seemed to get their act together on that product at all.

And if USG gets bought out by Knauf of Germany, as currently anticipated, I would expect thing to get worse in that arena.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
Shaklee3

I had a very hard time finding kerdi board in southern california. Even the local tile stores that sold it had to do so on a special order, and it was only the smaller sizes. If I could do it over again I'd use their membrane since the kerdi board was extremely expensive.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
Northmen

I was looking forward to using the entire USG Durock Shower system including the foam backer board. I like the fact that you can use modified thin set. The system seems to get good reviews on various forums.

Unfortunately none of the Pro distributors or big box stores stock the foam backer board and I was told I would have to buy a whole pallet.

Plan B is to use the standard Durock backer with their membrane. The foam shower trays and membrane are all special order.

My third option would be to float a mud floor and just use their drain and membrane.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:54 PM   #11
jboyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northmen View Post
I was looking forward to using the entire USG Durock Shower system including the foam backer board. I like the fact that you can use modified thin set. The system seems to get good reviews on various forums.

Unfortunately none of the Pro distributors or big box stores stock the foam backer board and I was told I would have to buy a whole pallet.

Plan B is to use the standard Durock backer with their membrane. The foam shower trays and membrane are all special order.

My third option would be to float a mud floor and just use their drain and membrane.

I ended up getting in touch with a couple USG reps in my area to get their shower system and foam backer boards. He had one of the larger distributors work with me directly. I think the company he put me in touch with typically sticks to dealing with contractors. So far, it’s been easy to install and I’ll do the waterproofing of seams soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by jboyles; 05-27-2018 at 10:37 AM.
jboyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:57 AM   #12
Northmen

That's good to know. Hopefully I can find a distributor willing to special order the 17 foam panels I need for two showers. The stickler seems to be from USG insisting on shipping only full pallets to the distributor.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:11 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Does USG want their membrane to be over their CBU or is it also installed over drywall?

I'm also planning to use the USG system, with custom size foam pan from them, so am very interested in the opinions of folk here that have used their products.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #14
cx
Da Home Builder

USG recommends Durock as a substrate for the Durock Shower Membrane, Dan.

I would personally not hesitate to use it over drywall, but it is not code approved for such use.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #15
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Thanks CX. I was rather hoping to avoid using CBU for 7 feet then transitioning to drywall for the last foot to the ceiling. But so it shall be.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase