Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #1
NERDYDIYGUY

Redgard v. Hydroban

I am redoing my bathroom. I basically have no experience, and I am learning things as I go.

I have been reading the forum here, and I read a lengthy thread complaining about struggles with placing Redgard on Hardiebacker. I have Hardiebacker up now, and I am at the point where I was going to add tape, thinset, and then Redgard. However, applying the Redgard primer coat seems difficult, messy, and time consuming.

Does Hydroban also require the application of a thinned "primer coat" prior to its first "real" coat? Or...does it seem to adhere better to Hardiebacker board such that I could just paint it on and be on my way?

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Dave
Old 05-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #2
smifwal

Prime coat is easy breezy. 4 part water 1 part redgaurd. Mix it in a 5 gal bucket and use a screen in the bucket and a roller and a throw away paint brush, go cut the grass and when your done it will ready for your first of the 2 full coats. Can't help you with the comparison to the hydroban as I have never used it but I have heard good things about it. I have to go to the distributor to get it but I can pick up redgaurd at any of the depots and it is cheaper at least here anyway
Old 05-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I think the Hydroban is a bit better....but only because Laticrete has been around longer and seem to have a better product......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Dave.

You'll get opinions both ways on that question.

I've never tried to apply Hydroban to Hardiebacker, but I do know the application of RedGard using the diluted primer coat works quite well and is easy to do. Keep in mind that either product must be applied per the manufacturer's instructions and that is not like painting the bedroom walls.

I would prefer the RedGard because it has been demonstrated to be a bit more flexible than the Hydroban.

That said, I would only use either one as a wall waterproofing membrane, not to waterproof a shower receptor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM   #5
NERDYDIYGUY

Thank you to all that have responded.

If someone said that Hydroban went on easy, and stayed on, I would order it and use it. However, I haven't found anyone on any thread after an afternoon of searching that says that. In fact, I wish I had found with place sooner, because my choice of using Hardiebacker seems to be in the minority. It seems like a lot of you pros like Durock, and Redgard seems to stick better to it. Lesson Learned for next time.

Here, Redgard is easy to come by at the Depot, whereas I would have to order the Hydroban on Amazon, so I think I am going to go with the Redgard, as everyone says the primer coat does the trick.

Thank You again,

Dave
Old 05-30-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Another option to explore would be our AquaDefense. It doesn't require a 'primer-coat' and it's very easy to apply, even over Hardiebacker. It's available at Lowes or Floor and Decor.

http://www.mapeihome.com/mapelastic-...#categoryID=46

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I've used it and it's a good product......

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:44 PM   #8
ZZZK

I've never used Redgard but I'm sure it's a good product as lots of people have great results with it. I have used Hydroban many times and it's been rock solid too.

Hydroban doesn't require a primer coat and doesn't technically require fabric in corners (although I still do because I'm anal). If you have ever peeled up cured Hydroban applied at the correct thickness you'll notice how much it can stretch before it fractures. It pulls up like taffy meaning it can experience an impressive amount of movement before it sheers which is why Laticrete tells you it can be used without fabric up to their gap limits.

For me this post is what made up my mind on which liquid membrane to use:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...&postcount=323

That's a pool on the 27th floor of a skyscraper.

https://media2.architecturemedia.net...58ae44d930.jpg

Do you have any idea the potential damage of a pool leaking up there? We're talking a number with at least 7 zeros if not 8. If it's good enough for that it was good enough for my second floor bathroom LOL.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase