Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #1
riggyk

Aspiring Contractor - First Attempt at Tile Shower: Think Tank

Hey Everyone,

Been working supporting some old school contractors for many of my younger years, and now branching off onto some projects of my own, mainly a family home that needs renovation to start. I'd like to tackle a few walk-in tile showers, nothing too exotic or elaborate, but head-to-toe remodel. I've worked on a few similar jobs so I have some hands on experience and now feel confident to head out on my own, with some practice and planning. I've been watching youtube videos, Schluter-Kerdi instructional videos, and anything Sal Diblasi like a mad-man. I plan to do a deck mud pan and kerdi board with kerdi band and a kerdi drain.

Plumbing aside, I have a few questions for all you seasoned vets out there. Apologies if this has been covered somewhere before, but I thought it wise to check in here:

1) Where do faulty showers fail predominately? What is most important to keep in mind for avoiding common pitfalls?

2) What important micro-considerations/hacks are there from all you pros after many years on the job? IE: What are those small (or big!) 80/20 things you obsess over or give some extra anal consideration when doing a shower install that go a long way in guaranteeing a good result and minimizing your fear of a callback?

3) What resources would you recommend for further education before diving in? Are the Kerdi shower and bathroom remodeling (1 & 2) John Bridge e-books a must-read? Not trying to avoid the proper education here, I will gladly buy any and all reading and geek away, but just curious as to opinions.

4) I posted another thread about my practice deck mud pan, so if you care to weigh in, I threw that into it's own post.

Thanks in advance everyone! This forum is great!
Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome to the forum, Ryan.

1. Usually around the curb.

2. Don't try to cut corners. Use a surface-applied membrane, installed properly, to keep the shower waterproof. There's usually no "fixing" a bad shower, most of them require a complete tearout and redo. So do it right the first time.

3. Other than this site, John's books are very helpful. Well worth the read.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:13 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

1- 90% of showers fail at the curb due to improper waterproofing

3- Manufacturer training, reps, and their YouTube videos. The only non-manufacturer tile guy on youtube to watch is Sal DiBlasi.

start here

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase