Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #1
suds&steam

Tiling on sheetrock / drywall in bathroom

Hello

New house that was built late last year, and we moved in in June. My bathroom is a wet bathroom, and by that I mean it has a tiled floor with drainage. The problem is the tiling on the walls only goes up about 10 inches. The rest of the wall is painted sheetrock / drywall.

I want to tile the wall about 5 feet high , and it should be able to withstand water being sprayed / hosed on the walls without letting any of it pass through the joints to the drywall behind. Can someone link me to good online sources on how to do this?

Do I need to sand all the paint off before I affix the tiles?
Do I need to apply a primer onto the bare or painted drywall?
Do I need to cover the wall with a vapor barrier before applying tile adhesive or a primer?
What kind of adhesive do I use for tile, that is waterproof? Is it thinset?
For the grouting, what product do I use and do I need to seal the grout lines ? If so what kind of sealer?

Thanks
Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
edc901

Tile and thinset isn't waterproof.

You could probably use Kerdi membrane. But check more on here for proper prep of your already painted walls.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You should not count of tile or grout to be waterproof. IN a wet room, the entire thing should be considered more like a shower. That requires at least water resistance. In a shower, the walls are either made waterproof, or water resistant. The only two companies that make a product that will make drywall waterproof are Schluter and USG...but, that also assumes that the floor is waterproofed and the walls tie into that waterproofing.

SO, how was the floor waterproofed? Does it tie up the wall to include the area already tiled? Are you willing to tear out the 10" of tile on the walls? The weak link will likely be to whatever waterproofing there might be on the floor to go up the walls.

Will the wall survive without it, depends on how often and how thoroughly it gets wetted down.

None of the painted on waterproofers are specified for use on drywall. Replacing it with cbu might work with either a topical waterproofing, or just a moisture barrier behind it, but that barrier needs to tie into the floor's waterproofing.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 10-10-2018 at 12:39 AM.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase