Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 09:05 PM   #1
Howarda

Kerdi board / Drywall outside corner

Hi - My wife wants tile in the shower and painted drywall in the room itself leaving me with two outside corners to deal with. How do you guys deal with these? I was thinking about using a Schluter trim pushed out to be flush with the drywall but that left me thinking I need to use a L or J bead on the drywall edge. At any rate I'd appreciate your thoughts. - Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #2
edc901

Howard, I don't know the correct answer.

But, I have watched every single Kerdi video on YouTube. These guys used a metal corner bead. Is it right? I don't know, just showing you a link to some guys who did this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruCLkSf7Hro
Old 10-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Many times tile is installed around the corner on the outside and would be inline with the face of the curb. You can use a Schluter corner or tile bullnose.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:47 PM   #4
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Plastic drywall corner bead. Done deal.

If your tiling right up to the edge, then use a product like red guard or Hydro ban over the entire strip on that side and your drywall nails holding it on the Tile side. That will keep it waterproof and keep the nails from rusting. On the other side, the drywall side, just simply mud it like you would normally mud a drywall corner bead.

If you are not tiling right up to the corner bead and will have affectively drywall showing, then use drywall hot mud at that corner bead so I can be painted.

Just did that last week. Use plastic instead of metal if you want it not to rust. Takes a little more care to keep it straight, so use a 7 foot long straight edge as you nail your corner in place.
Attached Images

Last edited by Topspin; 10-09-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 AM   #5
workhurts

Do you have a curb?

You're also going to have to rub some thinset on that pristine looking kerdi to make me feel better. That has to be the cleanest kerdi install I've ever seen.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:11 PM   #6
Howarda

Thanks for all of your ideas. Mulling it over. I'm having trouble visualizing how the tile interacts with the corner bead.

No Curb - curbless with a 140 mm Kerdi Line drain along the open side of the alcove. This is replacing a bathtub which I moved.

Kerdi Board is not fastened yet. I fitted it up last night and din't get there yet...I'm sure I'll mess it up (with thinset)
Old 10-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
Howarda

Does anyone happen to have a picture of a tile/drywall transition corner that uses corner bead

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase