Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #1
anap

Prepping the floor

Hi-
My husband and I are planning on putting wood-look tile (6 x 24) in out foyer. We've been home owners for almost 30 years (how did that happen) and have done a lot of DIY projects (including tiling a LONG time ago). He works in construction (electrician) and does side work with GCs. I guess that means that he's seen other people do it, not sure that that it as all helpful, but...
I am taking up the existing wood parquet floor, half of the tiles come up with my bare hands, the others I need the wonder bar for. The picture is what I'm left with. I am *super* nervous about prepping this floor. The parquet was original to the house (circa 1975), so not sure what adhesive was used. How do I get this up? Scrape? Sand? Any tips on leveling it? Any tips at all?
Thanks in advance!
Name:  temp.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  75.8 KB
Old 10-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Anne.

Are you super nervous about a hazard or technical knowledge/ability?

And can you tell us what the substrate is here? I can’t tell from the picture on my phone.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:23 PM   #3
anap

Thanks for reaching out. I'm concerned about technical knowledge/ability. The substrate is plywood. I do not know the thickness, but can drill a hole if it's important.
My concern is that my husband is not aware of some of the pitfalls we may face, so I want to get ahead of them.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:16 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You need to know at least two details:
- the thickness and quantity of layers of plywood already installed
- the deflection rating of the subfloor

As to the second, it's not the size of the room, it's the length of the unsupported span underneath. SO, you'd need to know how long those joists are in between supports (either a load-bearing wall, a beam, or the foundation), how far apart they are, and their depth and thickness. It can help to also know what species they are, as they are not all created equal! In the blue bar above, there's a calculator "Deflecto" you can use to determine if the floor is suitable for tile.

Once that's resolved, knowing what's on the floor now as a subfloor will determine if it is also suitable.

If everything is good, then there are various ways to prep the floor for tile.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase