Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #1
rhode

Berkshire Florida Wood Look Tile Plank Size

I am researching a DIY Berkshire Florida Tile project on the first floor of my house. I am trying to decide what size tile for the project, 6x24 or 8x36. Are the larger 8x36 tile more difficult to install due to lippage? Also, has anyone either installed or seen a pattern of both 6x24 or 8x36 tiles on the same floor?
Thanks
Derek
Old 10-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Derek.

The longer a tile is, the more likely for lippage. It would be very helpful for you to grab the longest straightedge you can put your hands on and drag it around on the floor you want to tile. Twist it every which direction to get a feeling of how wavy your floor is. For tiles of this size, you’re looking to flatten out the floor to within 1/8” of flat over a distance of 10’. You can.....but don’t need to make the whole floor level...but you do need to make it as flat as you can.

Yes, you can intermix the two sized tiles on alternating rows. I’ve seen that before and looks decent. Mostly a preference thing. But if the tiles aren’t flat (many are slightly bowed up in the middle), the areas where you are forced to install the low ends of one tile near the high center of another tile will result in unwanted lippage. For tiles of this size, there’s an industry standard to not overlap adjoing rows of tile by more than 1/3rd the tile length to avoid this very problem. So, if you are going to intermix, the tiles need to all be flat.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #3
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

I put the 6x24 Berkshire in my house and I get lots of compliments. I'm sure the larger size is nice too but the 6x24 was heavy enough that I wouldn't have wanted to do bigger ones by myself.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273

Last edited by MAPEI - Technical Service; 10-08-2018 at 07:30 AM.
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:14 AM   #4
mullet
░░░░░░░

I did the 6x24 Berkshire as well, and I love them. Very good tile.

Old 10-08-2018, 05:22 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Derek, welcome. Like Bubba said, it's well worth the time to get the floor as flat as you can before tiling.

Is this on a slab or wood subfloor?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:11 PM   #6
mrgedman

I did the 36” and had a hard time with lippage. The bath is in my shop, and for whatever reason I gave myself about 40 mins to do it. I’m a novice tile setter, a dozen or so simple jobs, but been a carpenter for about 6 years, so I’m “in the trades”...

Only one tile has significant lippage, but it’s almost a 1/4”, and it’s in the center of the floor.

Oh well- it’s a pole barn wood shop with slab after all, and I did nothing to remedy the slab flatness.

I’d get your subfloor super flat. That extra foot on the tile is sexy
Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 PM   #7
rhode

Thanks for all of the responses and seems the consensus is the 6x24. I have a wood subfloor and did the deflection calculation based on reading some posts in the 400's. I currently have wood laminate floor, any way I can tell how flat the subfloor is without ripping out the current floor?
Thanks
Derek
Old 10-15-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
ave8er

8x36

I am doing a complete DIY renovation and I used the 8x36. I have set quite a bit of tile but I am still a mostly novice DIY tile guy. I had a VERY hard time and am not overly happy with the results. I have a lot of lippage unevenness I did 1600 sq feet. I also want to add, the pattern repeat was stupid. It seemed like there were only about 6-8 patterns and I kept having repeats. Some boxes of had 3 or of the same tile.
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 08:53 AM   #9
ave8er

8x36

The potty turned out nice though...
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase