Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #16
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Sounds like you may need a combination of the techniques...cbu to provide the height for the mudcap's leg, and the combing out thinset to raise the field tiles. Raising all of the field tile in the same step with a LFT mortar could be done, but it's a lot harder to accomplish with a nice flat end result.

Do the colors match? Even from tile from the same place and time, if they're in different batches, the colors can vary (usually slightly).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 PM   #17
Raymond S
Carpenter - Tile Setter

It would be a lot simpler to get some mudcaps from dal-tile that go with your field tile.
Using the thicker mudcaps will work, but it will require quite a bit of finagling and it may not be worth it you would need to stop the cbu and kerdi at the edge of the field tiles and either use a tiny strip of cbu behind the mudcaps ( difficult) or build up behind them with a mortar that can go that thick (tricky and messy).
Old 10-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #18
BrittanyATX

What if I have the bathroom built the old way, mud floated, wth hydroban or redguard applied over the surface of the mud instead of doing kerdi? This style is the bathroom design I'm going for with mudcap trimming all walls and covering tub/shower arch opening on both sides. would the difference in tile thickness be doable in that application?

@jadnashua, yes all the trim matches in color shade.

@Raymond It was $400 less for the old trim compared to purchasing modern daltile bullnose, I'm hoping I don't end up losing the savings in cost of prep.
Attached Images

Last edited by BrittanyATX; 10-04-2018 at 08:35 AM.
BrittanyATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:33 PM   #19
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I don't see mud walls changing anything. Depending on what tile saw you have, you probably could make a jig to thin the BN down to 1/4.

I like Raymond's idea of getting new BN.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:28 PM   #20
BrittanyATX

@Davy: your jig idea is brilliant. That's what I'll do. I haven't gotten a tile saw yet, any recommendations on ones that I could do the jig idea with?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase