Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #76
mlawler626

I don't feel any flexion... I used as few screws as I thought I could get away with... was afraid of cracking the cement board. some of the spaces are 16". I used 11 screws in the full top sheet in middle wall... you can see the screws if you look back a few pics...
Old 10-03-2018, 04:32 PM   #77
mlawler626

Unhappy

I guess I will put in a few more screws in the mid-sections where I can (not going to mess with where I taped and mudded the joints) and re-apply the Hydra-Seal over them.

Last edited by mlawler626; 10-05-2018 at 08:26 AM.
mlawler626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #78
mlawler626

Ugghh... me and mortar (of any kind) just don't have a good working relationship... But I got the shower pan done.

I marked level lines on the 3 walls, coming off the Quick-Pitch corner sticks... Good thing I did because the shorter middle sticks do not come to the same height as the ones in the corners.
Attached Images

Old 10-05-2018, 03:09 AM   #79
Kman

That's a downside of that product: it only works well when the shower is perfectly square and the drain is centered.

Not the end of the world, though. You'll just have to cut some of the tile shorter in the corners to keep a level line on your first row.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:33 AM   #80
mlawler626

Kevin,

It would only work correctly for a truly circular shower with a centered drain. But I see your point about the drain position and each corner stick could be different heights if it's non-square (that did not occur to me at the time).

Well, I had to shim while marking my level lines... so hopefully I did it right-- or close enough.

Well, my plan was to start on the second course of tile... and locate it such that I will have to cut-off 1 or 2" inches from 1st course where it meets the floor tile. Hopefully that gives me wiggle room to hide my imperfections.

Last edited by mlawler626; 10-05-2018 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #81
mlawler626

I think I will do the floor tiles first so I don't mess up that mud bed I spent so many hours to get finished.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #82
cx
Da Home Builder

Mmmm. That will give you the opportunity to mess up your newly tiled shower floor instead, Michael. Do give that some thought.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:15 PM   #83
mlawler626

CX,
How so? Please explain... I was planning to put down both cardboard and carpet foam padding over the basketweave mosaic floor tiles to protect it... also plan to leave a 1/4" gap up against the CBU. And I was thinking the thinset and mosaic tiles would add strength over the mortar bed and the Quick-Pitch sticks-- where others earlier said those easily crack at those sticks (a downside of using them).

Last edited by mlawler626; 10-05-2018 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #84
cx
Da Home Builder

Well, you'll need to protect that floor either way you do it, but I'd rather protect my mud bed than take a chance of damaging a newly tiled floor. And your chances of damaging the tiles are greater if it's not been grouted. And the chance of staining something is greater if it has been grouted. If any thing happens, I'd rather need to repair or replace a mud bed than a tile installation. Entirely up to you which way you wanna do it.

One of the biggest advantages of the direct bonded waterproofing membrane shower receptors to my thinking is that I don't even need to install a drain until I've nearly finished the entire shower above the bottom row of tiles. No worries at all about harming the floor while doing the rest of it.

And I'm certainly no fan of putting those plastic strips in the final mud bed, but that's a different discussion.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #85
Kman

I use a membrane over the mud bed, but I put down a piece of sheetrock over it as soon as it's installed to keep from damaging it. I always do the floor tile last.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:24 PM   #86
mlawler626

Ok, so you guys convinced me to start with walls...

a handful of quick questions... I'm planning to use marble chair rail to picture frame an inset area around the shower and faucets and also in/around the shower niche.

Q1. Is a 1/4 1/4 square notch trowel ok for the small basketweave mosaic 12 x 12 sheets?

Q2. And someone suggested not using those plastic 1/8" spacers for vertical separations-- so what brand is strong enough?

Q3. Also do you guys use a level to keep the first and subsequent courses level going up? Or do you just follow any bows and custom cut the meeting corners to compensate?

Q4. I'm planning how to terminate at the 135 degree corner... I plan to run the tile to the edge and use the special Schluter SS edging (DE125EBS)... see photo and earlier posts. BUT should I just stop at the Curb? OR trim off the flat part and let the angled portion run on down along Curb to the floor-- terminating onto top of floor tile and allowing the front curb face tiles butt up to the metal edge (does that make sense)? I'm leaning towards the latter...

...On the other side the SS Schluter QUADEC (Q125EB) will terminate on top of the curb (see 2nd photo) and then I will put down a single piece of marble threshold on the top of the curb and only have two mortar joints where it will butt up to the walls.

Q5. Is it good to design the grout line to fall where the shower door mounting bracket screws would go? Or better to carefully drill holes in the tile?

Really need your inputs asap.

thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by mlawler626; 10-06-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #87
mlawler626

Oops... on question 4 above I forgot about the 4-1/2" baseboard (4.25" actual).. I can just make a special corner wood trim piece to go there the height of the curb-- letting the baseboard, Schluter trim, and curb face tile terminate into the wood trim piece. How does that sound?
Old 10-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #88
mlawler626

Trying to make sure I layout a vertically level pattern on each wall... regardless how it might meet in the corners.

I plan to do a simple straight stack pattern in the shower (with the mosaic insets I described earlier).
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #89
mlawler626

As I said... I had marked level lines to start the second course... but then I started mounting their "String-A-Level" and it's level bubbles weren't following where I marked.

So I put my levels on them to finish mounting and I'm now disregarding their bubbles-- must be cheap capsules?
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #90
makethatkerdistick

Not surprised about the bubbles. There are levels and then there are levels. I have one of those inferior ones, too. Almost threw me off once.

With the mosaic and trowel size, try the 1/4 by 1/4 and remove mosaic to check for coverage. Depending on the size of the mosaic it might be too much or just right. I did my mosaics with a Ditra trowel (11/64 x 11/64) and it worked well.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase