Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-06-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
Rigo
Rigo

Tile to wood laminate transition

Can I use Schluter Reno Tk or Reno U on tile to a wood laminate transition? When I installed the laminate I had it in mind I was gonna be able to use Ditra for my tile in the bathroom. I bought a matching T molding and thought I would be good to go. Just realized the joists in my bathroom are 24 inches apart on 3/4 plywood. I'm figuring my tile to laminate height will be around an 1/8 in difference. Gonna use Wonder Board Lite from HD, but I'm stuck on how my transition is gonna go. The height on the laminate and underlayment is 5/8. Gonna rip out the tile by the toilet and install new cement board too. They installed the tile on the side of the trim instead of under it. Just painted the room and ripped the trim off and slowly cutting away that nasty carpet. Do you guys have any other suggestions on the what to use on the transition?
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

First things first, Rigo. How is the change from Ditra to Wonderboard going to correct for your 24-inch joist spacing?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
Rigo
Rigo

Hi CX, I was in Boerne for a wedding last month. It was really nice, lots of deer in that area. I figured, I can use wonder board or Durock since the toilet area has that set up. I thought the Ditra and tile would have lined up flush with my laminate. Are you saing the Wonderboard wont work? Im a lil slow sorry.

Last edited by Rigo; 07-06-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Reread the installation instructions on Wonderboard...I think it says maximum spacing of 19.2", but double-check. Ditra does allow a 24" spacing, and there are probably three versions with different heights and features you might consider, depending on your needs:
- (original) Ditra
- DitraXL (thicker)
- DitraHeat Duo (has a thermal/noise break and optionally, you can add electric floor warming) that's thicker, still
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Rigo
Rigo

I didnt see that, thx for bringing that to my attention. I looked at Durock and it says I can install on joists up to 24 inches. Just cant figure out if its the 1/4 or 1/2. I think Ditra XL would work, but I dont wanna fork over the cash for that. When I rip out the tile in the toilet area I wilm see what the builders installed and probably just use that since it has held up well. House is only 9 yrs old though.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:23 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Generally, the thickness of something like cbu on a floor relates to if you want to raise the finished floor height or not...IOW, you should not consider it structural, so thickness is mostly irrelevant when it regards strength.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #7
Rigo
Rigo

I get it now thank you for the explanation. Since I already have tile in three places up stairs, is it fair to say, I can tile this area with no issues? Lol, my original question was about transition, but Im a bit off track now. I looked at Schluters website like you suggested and I can use the XL, but that would raise my tile up a bunch I think.

Last edited by Rigo; 07-07-2018 at 12:01 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:20 AM   #8
Rigo
Rigo

Grout?

Bought this tile and was thinking of using Tec Power Grout. Do you guys use it, and is it any good? There was a pic of the tile I bought, with Pro Fusion Oyster Gray, but don't wanna use that. All the big stores here have Mapei or Polyblend at Hd. Just wanted to get your opinion, before I order the Tec online. I kept searching, but found old posts on it. Also this is going on my bathroom floor, sorry for the second pic keeps flipping. Rigo
Attached Images

Last edited by Rigo; 07-22-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:34 AM   #9
Kman

There are actually several recent posts on Power Grout. I can't easily get to all of them right now on my phone. Don't do anything until you hear back from me or someone else and have the chance to read those other threads, and possibly hear from others with personal experience with it

I've used it only a few times, and those have been good. Others have not.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 AM   #10
Lou_MA

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=125545
Old 07-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #11
Rigo
Rigo

Thx Lou, ummmm I think Im gonna try something else after reading that. I've used the regular Tec grout once in black and came out great, but Lowes doesn't carry it anymore. And everytime I use Mapei, either the bags come out with different shades in the same color or I get really bad grout haze. Its probably the hard water here, just didnt have that issue with the Tec grout or some other grout I used for my patio, forgot what it was. Is Polyblend any good? Rigo
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
rmckee84

Polyblend is what I consider builder grade, definitely not a high preformance product. The problem with asking installers what the best setting materials are, is that we all have favorites. One person may despise a product while others swear by it. Laticrete Permacolor Select is my go to.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #13
Rigo
Rigo

Very good point sir. Wish I had more options, maybe the pros around here have a place to go other than the big box stores. I over think things alot, and should just get whatever is available and get it done.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:23 PM   #14
rmckee84

I order my grout online from contractor's direct.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #15
Rigo
Rigo

Thanks Ryan, I found TEC Power and Tec Skill Set at a lowes about 40 min away. Ive used Skill set before so I think Im just gonna go with that. The power grout had really bad reviews on the Lowes website. What caught my eye was that one review said he had horrible efflorescence with the power grout and tecs response was that they sold a product to remove it. On the bag it says that it is resistant to efflorescence. Guess the Tec guy missed that one and used a generic response. And they have the matching caulk too, In the past I have just mixed silicone with whatever grout I had and used that. Don't know if that is wrong, but it has held up nicely.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase