Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 07-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #16
greenjp

Thanks guys. I emailed Mapei on the subject and they suggested Ultraflex LFT, as it permits up to 8 quarts per 50 lb bag when the application is "For MAPEI uncoupling and peel-and-stick membranes" - she indicated this also aligned with Ditra or Strata Heat. Ultraflex 2 and 3 allow for 6 quarts max. I can get the LFT for ~$26 down the road at F&D so may go this route.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:27 PM   #17
greenjp

Customer service kudos for Laticrete and ContractorsDirect.com. I got a call from an unknown number today, picked it up and it was a tech support guy from Laticrete calling to see if I was satisfied with my email interactions and if I had any questions. I said I was pretty satisified but I'd like to discuss the proper mixing of mortar for setting the StrataHeat mat and we had a good chat. He was an older guy who said he was a tile setter for a long time and I guess is working for Laticrete as a transition to retirement job. Very helpful and he left me his cell number.

I ordered the stuff from ContractorsDirect yesterday and received it today, FedEx'd from Connecticut to Maryland. And they didn't even charge for shipping! If Laticrete honors their 10% rebate I'll have gotten everything for $450 - 150 ft^2 of the mat, 133' of wire (~40 ft^2 worth), touchscreen thermostat, and a pack of the thermal additive. Not bad at all compared to local pricing for the same or what I found for similar systems elsewhere.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:37 AM   #18
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Hey Jeff,

If you wouldn't mind, what points made you decide on Strata_Heat over Ditra Heat?

I'm at the same point. I was pretty set on Ditra Heat until I read on here that Laticrete offered a similar product.

Your insights are appreciated.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:47 AM   #19
greenjp

I was *this* close to getting either Ditra Heat or NuHeat's knockoff. I inquired with my local shop (where I had purchased my tile and Wedi materials) about what the carried and they have Flextherm, Ditra, and Strata Heat - I was unaware Laticrete had such a product myself until then.

Note I am a complete noob - I recently finished my first shower (see my other thread) with Wedi and that was my first and only tiling job. No experience putting in floors, underlayments, decoupling membranes, etc so it's all new to me.

I read the install manuals, corresponded with Laticrete a bit, and checked prices. Pros and cons as I saw them:
Pro
- favorable pricing
- modified thinset allowed for setting tile (NuHeat also allows this)
- flexible wire spacing - it allows ~2", 3", 4", with a 2-3-2 alternating spacing recommended. NuHeat is also like this. I thought this would give a little better flexibility for the cable layout vs. Ditra's x3 spacing
- translucent mat apparently makes it easy-ish to tell if you're getting good coverage. Still have to peel it up to check of course so this isn't huge but maybe nice to have.
- Thermostat looks to be good.

Cons
- seems like it's brand new this year so very little information available other than from Laticrete.

Laticrete seems like a top shelf company from what I gather so I don't mind rolling the dice being a guinea pig
Old 07-12-2018, 12:49 PM   #20
ss3964spd

Thanks for the feedback Jeff. I'm pretty ok with you being the guinea pig too. But can ya hurry it up a bit?

Kidding aside, I'll probably be installing whatever I decide to use in 2 to 3 weeks. I had pretty much settled on DH before hearing about SH. I don't know anything about NuHeat's product.

One thing that's throwing me off with SH is the giant thermostat, requires a 2 gang box. And their install sheet also shows a metal box, and says a mud ring must be used. I don't know if a standard plastic 2 gang box can be used but I suspect it can.

Between the 3 gang box for lights/fan/window shade, the floor t-stat, and the electronic shower control I have a lot happening on that wall. Just want it to look as tidy as possible.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:06 PM   #21
greenjp

Well you may beat me to it, I'm looking to do my removals and rip outs the weekend of the 21st - who knows how much progress I'll make and if I get to the actual floor before my wife and kids get home

I'll crack open the thermostat box tonight and check it out. I saw the same regarding the mud plate and whatnot in the instructions.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
greenjp

The thermostat is about 4.5" wide and 3.75" tall. Smaller in person that it appears in their materials. It does seem to require a double box and the instructions do show a box with mud plate. I'll take it to the store with me to check fit against the various box options.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #23
greenjp

Here are a couple of photos. It has a chrome bling trim around the perimeter that is not obvious in the spec sheets and whatnot. Ugh sideways photos.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2018, 06:19 AM   #24
ss3964spd

Thanks Jeff, much appreciated.

In your estimation do you think the height/width is roughly equal to oh, say, a double gang switch plate/cover?

I'm trying to get my head around what would look best. I currently have the single gang box for the floor t-stat (was going to go with Ditra Heat) positioned above a 3 gang box - in an effort to consolidate some of the switches/controls on that wall.

If I go with SH I think I'll have to move the t-stat box to be in-line with the 3 gang.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #25
Sharon @ LATICRETE

Quote:
Customer service kudos for Laticrete and ContractorsDirect.com. I got a call from an unknown number today, picked it up and it was a tech support guy from Laticrete calling to see if I was satisfied with my email interactions and if I had any questions. I said I was pretty satisified but I'd like to discuss the proper mixing of mortar for setting the StrataHeat mat and we had a good chat. He was an older guy who said he was a tile setter for a long time and I guess is working for Laticrete as a transition to retirement job. Very helpful and he left me his cell number.
Thanks Jeff - we appreciate the feedback. I've passed this along to our Tech Services team. It's always nice to hear positive feedback! Have a great weekend and let us know if you need anything else. Happy to help!
Old 07-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #26
greenjp

Regarding the type of box - the part of the thermostat the screws into electrical box has a pair of screws on either side that would line up with the holes on a single gang mud ring for a 4" square box. I don't have much experience installing these sorts of things but don't see how it would screw in to what I'd call a "normal" two gang box.

Some additional pictures showing how it looks.

I'm probably going to end up cutting out a section of drywall from where this is going to be installed, down to the floor in between two studs to allow for easy installation of the box, wires, conduit, etc. Cut a small hole in the drywall to fit around the mud plate and put the whole thing back up.

A quick search has me looking at these sorts of things:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-2-Ga...al-Box/3136491
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CARLON-1-Ga...-Cover/3129417

Sharon you can pass along a comment that it would be nice if the thermostat could be easily mounted to a retrofit type electrical box
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2018, 06:37 AM   #27
iownme

tile under the vanity....ya never know!
much easier to do it now than later
Old 07-15-2018, 07:24 AM   #28
ss3964spd

Thank you for taking the time to post those photos Jeff, much appreciated.

Since the t-stat is larger than a single wall plate, but smaller than a double, I'm going to have to think about this. To be fair, though I know the Schulter t-stats install in a single gang box I don't know what their finished size is either.

Both systems perform about the same - though I think Schulter's wants a 20A circuit where as Laticrete's is 15A.

With a 3 gang box, floor t-stat, and the digital shower control (which is long and narrow) all on the same wall in close proximity it will probably come down to aesthetics for me.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:34 AM   #29
wwhitney

The DITRA-HEAT-E-RT thermostat measures 3-3/16" x 5-1/8".

Cheers, Wayne
Old 07-15-2018, 10:31 AM   #30
ss3964spd

A bit larger than the Lutron wall plates I'll be using.

I have a 3 gang box, and the single gang box for the t-stat is currently positioned above the 3 gang - in line with the right most position of the 3 gang.

Since neither of the t-stats are close enough to the same size of the Lutron plates I looks like I'm going to have to move the t-stat box to visually uncouple it from the 3 gang.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase