Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
timsdl72

Grab bar /folding bench attachment

Hello all!

Frequented the forum years ago while tiling a kitchen / dining room. Was introduced to kerdi which saved me a bunch of work and the deflecto calculator which made up for it and cost me a bunch of work!

New house. 1960ís era bathroom remodel. Existing appears to be a 32x32 mudbed with tile set on Sheetrock. Will be totally demolished and reframed over the basement steps (maintaining required headroom) into a 36x48. Probably kerdi system but looking at laticrete also.

While planning, the question of accessories being attached after tile came up. Iíve searched the library and found threads regarding installing grab bars with proper backing but I canít find anything regarding properly maintaining the waterproofing layer while running screws through it

Seems like silicone filling the hole may work for awhile but is there a better product? Kerdi-fix?

and thanks for any input!
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

IF you don't have blocking, WingIts anchors work. I've used them in two showers to good effect. They provide a sealing gasket that keeps things water tight around the penetrations. Silicon in the hole if you have blocking (or KerdiFix) should also seal things up. I've used two different types, the one pictured and they have a mostly plastic one that also seems to work quite well. Both are ADA rated, so are quite strong.
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #3
timsdl72

Thanks Jim

Iíll have backing. Considering Kerri-board for the walls and while I trust its compression strength, I wonít chance pullout of any kind.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

KerdiBoard would probably not be a good backer for use with a WingIt, but you'd have to talk with Schluter and probably WingIts to decide. But, if you have backing, it's far cheaper to just use screws. The WingIts fasteners use 3M foam double-stick tape as the seal behind the flange of their bars to seal things up. I've used silicon, but if you have some KerdiFix, that would also work in the holes to seal things up.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

folding benches require blocking and serious bolts to be able to take the weight

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
timsdl72

Thanks Paul,

Planning for that. Plenty wide too so there's some good support behind the tile / kerdi board. Will have to give some thought to how close I am to the edge of a tile too perhaps so A LOT of backing!
Old 01-17-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
timsdl72

Fantastic - Lowes has failed me again!

No kerdi-board. Looks like I'll be ordering it. Their selection of Mapei seems a bit short as well. Don't believe I saw any unmodified thinset.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #8
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

FWIW, there's a potential for failure here with Kerdi Board. This from my drywall sub who's sister is a pro in the tile world.

Be careful when running down fasteners for any attachments that run through the Kerdi Board. She had glass installers crack tile when installing hinges for door. Many use impact drivers. Since he told me that I always tell glass guys what's behind tile. I've even opted for drywall and membrane over K-Board in some cases where I deemed appropriate.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #9
timsdl72

Thanks Peter,

I've wondered about that. Perhaps even cutting a square out of the kerdi-board like I was going to install a niche but piecing in some drywall and kerdi membrane over that area. Just hadn't gotten down to the nitty details of the compression with that sort of cantilever install. Our planned tile is a PEI 4 but I'm not sure whether this sort of rating has much correlation to the particular stresses of this type of installation. I'm certainly concerned about fully embedding the tile when installed.

I'd do an actual floor mounted bench but there's just not enough floor room in a 48x36 for a standard dimension setup.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #10
timsdl72

Ever have a plan that just couldn't work?

So after all of my great planning which i deemed flawless.....except that nothing is readily available locally, it appears I'm back to evaluating methods.

My initial plan was kerdi-board. Turns out, nobody carries it locally. Minimum order is 12 pieces and I need 7. So in addition to being expensive stuff, I have to buy far more than needed. Suddenly, other methods seem more feasible.

Incorporating the concern with compressive strength, I'm now considering Hardibacker. They claim no water proofing needed except joints and fastener locations. Thoughts?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:38 AM   #11
lati_cz
michal

Hi Tim,
I started with Hardi, switched to Kerdi, but quit it for all reasons mentioned above.
I use tiling boards from Lowe's. Light, very easy to cut (as drywall) without creating dust, 5 times less expensive than Kerdi boards and easy to install.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CertainTeed...Board/50071483
Old 01-21-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
timsdl72

Thanks Michael,

Turns out that product is not available at my store and not available for delivery to my store. I'm beginning to wonder how our local contractors are building things.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:37 PM   #13
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Have you contacted Schluter directly? They may be able to help locate the materials you need. Shipping direct from them may be expensive, though. You're a long ways from either of their warehouses, though.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #14
lati_cz
michal

Than you can go with drywall and kerdi fabric. Role of kerdi is inexpensive to ship.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:33 AM   #15
timsdl72

Thanks to all

Sorry about spelling your name wrong, Michal. Didn't pay close enough attention.

Ditra is still the flooring choice since my wife is pushing for a heated floor. Kerdi shower system is a possibility but that's not determined yet. Local HD seems to have everything needed for a Custom installation and the Redgard is significantly cheaper than prices I've seen on the Hydroban so this may be the path of least resistance with a reputable product. And since Custom thinsets seem to be well regarded and Mapei access became limited, I may stumble into a lifetime warranty system!

I should probably look at Tec a bit closer. At first glance, I took it as a Menards cheap-out but found it in a higher end store yesterday so that may have been unfair.

Either way, close enough to start demo!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase