Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-12-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
Igman

New Schluter Shower Pans (Thinner): Any feedback?

Curious if anyone has any experience with the new Schluter shower pans that are thinner and supposed to make curbless construction easier...

Any issues? Having the ability to use smaller tiles is a plus. Are they stiffer and stronger, less prone to flex?

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us/en_US/ShowerTrays

The fact that these aren't available with the linear drain may eliminate them as an option for me, although I am not 100% certain yet, but interested in the wisdom found here!
Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 AM   #2
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
It appears the biggest advantage is that the membrane is pre-applied/laminated to the pan. And I'm pretty sure I saw that they are available with a line drain. I didn't look all that closely but didn't read any details about minimum tile size.

Looking through the size table there are only two sizes than come with a perimeter thickness of less than 1". All others are at, or well over, 1". I think it's a little misleading when they say it doesn't need to be set in a mortar bed, it does, just a very thin mortar bed.

Still, the only real advantage I can see over, say, USG's foam pans is the pre bonded membrane which will speed installation time. They still don't offer any custom sized pans like USG does.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Igman

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 10-12-2018, 09:04 PM   #4
Howarda

I just bought the 76" x 38" (long side drain) size for a barrier free shower I'm putting in an old bathtub alcove. The substrate is a little over 3/4" thick on the drain end and 1 5/8" on the thick end. I purchased a 140mm drain and it all looks straight forward to install.

I lowered the floor in the alcove by 3/4 " by recessing the subfloor flush into the joists. I do not want to cut the joists because they already have a long span for their size.

I do have a question.

I was going down the path of placing the drain on the entrance side of the alcove and pitching up towards the back of the shower. Ditra heat on the floor and going a little heavy on the thinset under the pan gets me pretty much lined up at the drain and at the hardwood transition in the hall.

A tile guy mentioned that I'd be better off with the drain towards the wall but that means another 5/8 layer of plywood in the room and a 5/8 transition at the hallway door so it kind of defeats the curbless idea a bit.

Do you think the placement of the drain matters that much? The drain will span the entire opening except for maybe 1-2" on each end depending on wall tile thickness.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
Howarda

Sorry - meant to add this

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...DI_SHOWER-L-LS
Old 10-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Interesting...it's taken nearly 4-years for them to integrate the waterproofing on all of their trays...they'd talked about it nearly 4-years ago in a class. The linear drain pans have had it for awhile, though. One can say this about Schluter...they are very conservative and really won't introduce a product until they're positive it will work in the market without issues (assuming you follow instructions!).
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM   #7
Igman

My research continues and I have another question regarding the linear drain installation. The FAQs state that the drain should be 2 ⅛ on center from the wall. Obviously this measurement needs to include the thickness of the wall, but is this enough room for the linear drain to fit against the wall? Do you allow for any "wiggle" room? I guess it makes sense to have the shower pan and drain here to confirm location?
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The room is for the flange of the drain and to help ensure you get the proper overlap to make the seal. I think you'll find that is unfinished wall to unfinished wall, so once tile was installed, it would end up smaller. Double-check to be sure.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase