Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-04-2018, 03:50 PM   #46
Rigo
Rigo

Im ripping out the tile I will be replacing and so far so good. Thank god they used unmodified under the backer board. I did notice they used nails and drywall screws. The nails were a bit rusted, but the screws were solid. I should just use those screws instead of the rock on screws, Im kidding. By the threshold they didn't even screw that part down and it was still solid. Anyways I have a couple of uneven spots where the plywood sheets come together. Im gonna smooth them out with my cup wheel. When I finish, there might be a couple of low spots, can I just fill them in with thinset before I install my durock?
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #47
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

CBU instructions say either hot-dipped (not electroplated), galvanized roofing nails or corrosion resistant backer board screws to anchor the stuff.

You can see they didn't set the tile very well as the coverage is poor underneath both the tile and the cbu.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.

Last edited by jadnashua; 10-04-2018 at 05:00 PM.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:24 PM   #48
Rigo
Rigo

Yes sir Jim I agree with ya. I bought a big box of Rock On screws for my project.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:02 PM   #49
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You asked earlier if your tile was flat enough to do a 50% stagger...place two of the tile finished side to finished side and see if they rock or there's a gap in the middle. If they make intimate contact, you should be good for any layout. If not, go by the industry guidelines and the manufacturer's instructions. To be safe, you might want to do that with some random tile from multiple boxes just in case. WHile it's rare that they're absolutely flat, it does happen with some, giving you more options.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 03:17 AM   #50
Rigo
Rigo

Thanks for the tips Jim. They do seem really flat and no rocking, Im gonna shoot for a 1/3 and 1/2 mix pattern. Im still hung up on my transition from tile to wood laminate, I got a bunch of ideas so hopefully it all falls into place. Then my tub is curved a bit, so Im reading the forum for ideas on how to cut my tile for that too.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:09 PM   #51
rmckee84

I make a template with cardboard then trace it onto your tile.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:17 AM   #52
Rigo
Rigo

Thx Ryan, I will do that.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #53
Rigo
Rigo

Im marking where my cement boards are gonna go and trying to do it so I have less cuts. Is it the end of the world if one section is 12 inches instead of Durock 16 inch min at one of the joints?
Old 10-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #54
Rigo
Rigo

Man I suck, took me all day to dry fit these boards. Also, HD didn't have a dust shroud, so I took the cup wheel to the plywood. My wife was so pist with all the dust haha. I used a Dremel to cut my boards, was really fast. Does my progress look okay so far?
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #55
rmckee84

Everybody works at a different pace...I despise CBU it's heavy, dusty, and time consuming. Thats why i made the switch to uncoupling membrane years ago.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 PM   #56
Rigo
Rigo

Yeah my back is killing me going up and down the stairs with everything. Went well today. I used un-modified under the durock and then I used modified for the cement board mesh tape. Gonna tile tomorrow hopefully.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase