Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 PM   #16
edc901

So I'm finally moving full steam ahead.

I hate to admit I spent wayyyyyy too much time leveling the subfloor trying to get it perfect. It's FLAT. hah

All plumbing done, All drywall up and taped. (Never. Never again will I tape drywall. I'm pretty good with figuring out lots of things and learning new skills, but drywall mud takes the cake.)

It Kerdi time boys!

So, local tile shop has good stock. Obviously this will be more preference, but what do you guys suggest for thinset? Laticrete 317 and step it up to Schluter All-Set?
Old 10-08-2018, 05:06 PM   #17
cx
Da Home Builder

You have filled and taped the drywall seams in the area where you plan to install Kerdi, Matt?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:46 PM   #18
edc901

No, the whole bathroom was down to studs. I only taped the non-shower section.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
cx
Da Home Builder

This is a good thing.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 PM   #20
edc901

Is Schluter All-Set worth the extra cost over Laticrete 317?

It's like $11 vs $30 per bag.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #21
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

AllSet is a premium modified thinset. 317 is a decent unmodified. IT depends on what you are trying to accomplish. Schluter's version of 317 is SchluterSet, which should come out less expensive. So, you're trying to compare apples to oranges.

It's sort of like using premium gasoline in a car that only needs regular...it will work, but isn't (always) necessary.

So, need to know the specific application. You might want a modified with a glass tile, but for over 20-years, people have been using a premium unmodified over Kerdi and it works. Some tile manufacturers specify modified, so, eventually (it took them years) Schluter had one formulated that they know will work with their membrane. Not that others can't, it's just that it's risky, since they could change their formulation, and then it wouldn't. Making one yourself, you know it will work.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:23 AM   #22
edc901

Porcelain.

Ok, same question still applies. Is Schulter thinset worth the extra cost?

Old 10-09-2018, 07:31 PM   #23
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

If you want to retain the warranty with Schluter (some don't really care), you'll use either a premium unmodified thinset, or one of the thinsets sold under Schluter's name. IMHO, either should work. Prior to them branding their own thinset, their preferred unmodified was DitraSet, made for them, to their specs. Millions of showers were made with that, or other unmodified thinsets, along with a decent amount of unapproved modified thinsets. If you choose the right modified (not all will work), it will work fine with Kerdi.

I've found that DitraSet is very creamy, goes on well, and works well. I'm assuming, I've not tried it, that the new Schluter thinsets work well, too.

A modified on a membrane can end up stronger, but there's a limit on what is meaningful. The fleece on the membrane is the limiting factor. It also acts somewhat like a slightly flexible component, which a modified can do as well. Over say a cbu, a modified can end up with a stronger shear strength than an unmodified, but over a membrane like Kerdi, the fleece's shear strength, when properly installed, is in the order of 75psi.

Some porcelain tile is hard to bond, which is why many manufacturers call for the use of a modified. Schluter says a premium unmodified works over their membrane. Your call. What you don't want is a latex modified mortar since it cannot dry between a nearly impervious tile and a waterproof membrane.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 PM   #24
makethatkerdistick

I'd be willing to pay low $30s for a bag of premium thinset on the very outset. Anything above that would necessitate a very special credible reason to invest more.

I am also wondering how you could prove to Schluter that you used their All Set or an unmodified mortar if you made a claim. Would they take a sample and analyze it in a laboratory? Or would they take your word for it? Or would the rep just eyeball it and make a guess? Or perhaps you would show them your receipts?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #25
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang
Would they take a sample and analyze it in a laboratory?
Very simple operation these days, Wolfgang.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #26
edc901

Alright. Messed up my first batch.

Following directions exactly. Not sure what else could have been done.

Schulter All Set 5.5- 6.5 QTs. I used exactly 6.5 QTs. Mixed the instructed time, 5 mix 10 slake 3 mix. Got a new mixer, under 300rpms.

Not creamy. Not fluid consistency. I figured I'd give it a try, damn near wore my arm out trying to put it on the wall. I scraped it off the drywall, theres a light skim coat on the drywall, hopefully that won't be an issue when I go to try again?

Temp is 72 (mixing in the house )

Not sure what else could have been done. Can't follow the instructions any better than given, but some how it came out thick and not creamy enough. Did not want to attach to the Kerdi. I've seen all the videos, not my result.

Did I get a bad bag?
Old 10-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #27
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

What are you using for a paddle?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #28
edc901

I'm guessing the wrong one ?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Marshalltow...rms/1000208691

Does this one over a spiral one really make that big of a disadvantage and cause such a thick mixture with max water? It wouldn't even fall off the trowel. Like a Blizzard they hold upside down at Dairy Queen.. hah
Old 10-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #29
Lou_MA

Some thoughts on all set:

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...=122318&page=2

I wouldn’t have bothered with it. Laticrete 317, Bostik DitraSet, Mapei Kerabond would have been my first preferences.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:22 PM   #30
edc901

Well, I already have bags of it after asking which was recommended. so that topic is done.

Any ideas on what went wrong with the mixing if all directions were followed carefully? (I emailed Schluter as well to see what they say)

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase