Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Nayr1996

Mortar pan into drywall

So most of my showers I’ve done I’ve done my mortar bed and ran the liner up the wall 4 inches, then done backer board. Alternatively a customer I’m beginninng now has dry walled the whole shower down to the plywood. What is the best way to do this mortar bed and tie it in with the drywall? I’m planning on using Kerdi waterproofing after.
Side note. I thought about just doing the whole kerdi shower pan kit but 1. I like making my own pan and 2. The main reason, they want a pebble floor and I’m looking to make more of a slope than the 1/4 inch the kit has.
Do I guess my question is. Does anyone else have a good way of doing this without tearing out the bottom 6 inches of drywall and adding extra days on the project??

Last edited by Nayr1996; 10-08-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Nayr1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Ryan,

As typical to every kerdi shower, set your drain then pack your mud bed to the drywall. When finished, kerdi fabric from the drain to above the shower head.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

As Paul said, you have no issue at all! That's how a Kerdi shower wants to be built. The drywall is never going to get wet again, the mudbed is never going to get wet again, there are no issues at all. Remember, there's no liner at all, just the Kerdi drain, and Kerdi fabric.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Nayr1996

Okay just wanted to make sure 100%. Ive only ever done them one way or the other. Either used the entire kerdi kit or did my own dry pack with a vinyl liner and waterproof with another product. I just found a video by schluter that shows the dry pack. I will be using the metal lathe underneath as well.
Thanks for the replies
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, put down some poly or felt paper first, then the lath.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #6
Nayr1996

Too late to slope bench?

So th contractor did not add slope to the bench of my shower. The waterproofing membrane is already on but no tile has been set. What can I do to fix this now? When the dry pack goes in can I use some of that to add a slope to it then waterproof over that again? What do you recommend
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #7
Lou_MA

Drypack wonít bond in a thin layer. How is the bench constructed? 2Ē Kerdi board? 2x framing?

If you have a strip of 3/16Ē Kerdi board, he could rip a thin strip and set along back edge of bench. Use that as a screed, use a straight edge to feather some thinset from that screed down to zero at the front of the bench. Then Kerdi and Kerdi-band over the entire thing. But as a client, that kind of workaround wouldnít be my first preference for a new shower that Iím paying for.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #8
Nayr1996

Itís framed with 2x and drywall over top.. would taking the kerdi off and floating it with thinset then putting new kerdi on be the best way?
Old 10-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #9
smifwal

We all make mistakes, your guy could use thinset or better would be planipatch. Whatever you do, you need waterproofing directly below the tile. DON'T let him try to "ramp it" with thinset when he sets the tile you will be no better of than you are now
Old 10-14-2018, 10:18 AM   #10
Redlands Okie

Too late to slope bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayr1996 View Post
Itís framed with 2x and drywall over top.. would taking the kerdi off and floating it with thinset then putting new kerdi on be the best way?

That should work fine I would think. Could also remove the sheetrock on top. Shim. Reinstall sheetrock with slope. . Install new Kerdi on top. Lapped at least 2 inches with other Kerdi. That way the Kerdi is sloping.

Others may have better idea.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
cx
Da Home Builder

What Shawn said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #12
Lou_MA

Just to check, the bench is constructed with plywood or something structural on top? Itís not just drywall spanning between framing members, right?
Old 10-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #13
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

My concern is the same as Louís. Is that drywall spanning an opening? If so, it NEEDS the strength of plywood.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 03:51 PM   #14
Nayr1996

Do I need to redo my pan??

I poured a pan on Saturday and it is now Monday evening. When I run my hand over it it feels sandy. There is loose sand all through it but the pan feels very solid. Will I need to redo it?? When I lay kerdi over it it(loose without thinset) really slides around and you can hear the sand. It doesn’t fall apart or break off in pieces just really sandy top layer. I hope I don’t have to redo it but if I do what did I do wrong? Mixed it 4;1.
Have had mixed reviews when talking to people some say if it’s still solid it will be okay and some say otherwise!
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM   #15
Lou_MA

Run a shop vac over the top to remove loose sand. If you remove huge holes in the dry pack, or go all the way down to the substrate, then I’d probably bust out the whole thing and re-do. If it just leaves a slightly pitted surface, skim coat with a thin layer of thinset, let dry, then install
Kerdi.

More importantly though, that’s not a Kerdi drain. How are you planning on making that connection at the drain?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase