Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Nayr1996

Mortar pan into drywall

So most of my showers I’ve done I’ve done my mortar bed and ran the liner up the wall 4 inches, then done backer board. Alternatively a customer I’m beginninng now has dry walled the whole shower down to the plywood. What is the best way to do this mortar bed and tie it in with the drywall? I’m planning on using Kerdi waterproofing after.
Side note. I thought about just doing the whole kerdi shower pan kit but 1. I like making my own pan and 2. The main reason, they want a pebble floor and I’m looking to make more of a slope than the 1/4 inch the kit has.
Do I guess my question is. Does anyone else have a good way of doing this without tearing out the bottom 6 inches of drywall and adding extra days on the project??

Last edited by Nayr1996; 10-08-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Nayr1996 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 08:16 PM   #2
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Ryan,

As typical to every kerdi shower, set your drain then pack your mud bed to the drywall. When finished, kerdi fabric from the drain to above the shower head.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

As Paul said, you have no issue at all! That's how a Kerdi shower wants to be built. The drywall is never going to get wet again, the mudbed is never going to get wet again, there are no issues at all. Remember, there's no liner at all, just the Kerdi drain, and Kerdi fabric.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 09:08 PM   #4
Nayr1996

Okay just wanted to make sure 100%. Ive only ever done them one way or the other. Either used the entire kerdi kit or did my own dry pack with a vinyl liner and waterproof with another product. I just found a video by schluter that shows the dry pack. I will be using the metal lathe underneath as well.
Thanks for the replies
Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, put down some poly or felt paper first, then the lath.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase