Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #1
meehan21

Marble Mosaic TEC Power Grout

Hey all, awesome forum you guys have here. I am a DIYer working with my uncle who is a contractor that does quite a lot of tiling. He has a huge preference for TEC powergrout. I am putting a backsplash made of polished marble in a flower mosaic (I cant link but its called the Seattle Ravenna SE-FO1 from mir mosiac) in our kitchen, and the wife wants to use Ivory Powergrout. I did a test board and ended up scratching the tile faces when I spread the grout, and now I'm worried that powergrout is the wrong thing to use here. However, I don't think unsanded would work due to the huge grout spaces in the mosaic. Could the scratching be due to my relative inexperience more than the grout? What would you guys recommend? Also, should I be sealing before grouting, and with what?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by cx; 10-08-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Light up link
meehan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Sean.

You might wanna look into one of the single component grouts such as MAPEI's Flexcolor CQ or Custom's Fusion Pro.

You'll still wanna do a test board, but both are indicated for narrow and wide joints and I've not found either to be very abrasive. You need to read and follow the directions carefully.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
meehan21

Cx,. Thanks for the info and fast response. Those def seem like good options. Reading about them, they seem like they're a bit harder to work with them and regular grout. Do you have any tips for a newbie? Also, is there any resource that matches the colors between brands? When I did the test board with the ivory powergrout, the color was perfect. Also, it doesn't look like any of the big boxes around me carry flexcolor. Do you have any suggestions on where I could pick it up?

Last edited by meehan21; 10-08-2018 at 03:56 PM.
meehan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #4
Lou_MA

Grout cross-reference between manufacturers

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=93732
Old 10-08-2018, 05:13 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
Do you have any tips for a newbie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CX, Post #2
You need to read and follow the directions carefully.
That's my tip for newbies, Sean. Those grouts are not at all more difficult to install than cementitious grouts, they're just a little different. Just forget about any other grout you've installed and do exactly what the manufacturer recommends. Real men actually do read the instructions on new products.

Some Lowes stores carry MAPEI products, others don't. You can find them at many real tile stores. All Homer's carry the Custom products.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase