Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #196
workhurts

In case anyone needs to support tile on the underside of a niche. I used a short 2x4 and the shims from the raimondi kit. Flipped them upside down so the smooth sides were against the tile and wood. The sides touching each other have grooves so it was like a little ratchet system.
Attached Images

Old 10-01-2018, 01:32 PM   #197
makethatkerdistick

Ali, what made you choose to expose the tile edges in the niche over, say, using trim or mitering them? Is this through-body porcelain?
Old 10-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #198
workhurts

What tile edges? The grey at the edge? That's schluter jolly trim in satin nickel.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:24 PM   #199
makethatkerdistick

Oh, ok. I see it now. It looked like an unfinished tile edge in the niche picture.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:27 AM   #200
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I thought the same, but probably shouldda known better.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #201
workhurts

Heh. What I lack in skill, I make up for in OCD.

Speaking of which, what's a good way to make a tile thinner? I'm going to use my gray till cut down to 4"x24" lengths for baseboard and would like the depth to match the blue/green wall tiles.

Other than an angle grinder to the back of the large tiles to shave 1/8" off of them is there a really good way to do this? It doesn't have to be perfect but I would like them a little thinner. Baseboard application so not exactly high traffic.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #202
Kman

You could try running them through the saw on edge, once on each side of course. I don't know how many you have, but that could be a long, tedious process. Also, if this is to be a baseboard, will you cover the top of the tile with something? That top edge might look a little rough after the back of the tile has been shaved.

No chance of building out the other tile somehow?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM   #203
workhurts

The top would be covered by a Schluter trim piece. It would be hard to build up the other tile by much since 90% of it is already on the wall. Decided on tile baseboard kinda late in the game.

Not that many tiles. I can cheat a little bit and only do the walls that terminate into the blue/green tile and do the other walls with full thickness tile and slightly larger trim.

So best case about 6 (24"x4") tiles and worst case about 10.

You mean run them through upright and get the saw to cut 2" in on both sides? Interesting. Was thinking of putting a concrete cup or concrete pad on a grinder and just going to town (outside with a mask on).
Old 10-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #204
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you run them thru the saw edge ways, stand them up against a brick. The brick will help you keep them standing upright.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:58 AM   #205
workhurts

Think I need a bigger blade to cut 1/2 way through the tile. Will experiment.

Bench is done. Not sure I completely like it. A slab would have probably been better but I suppose I could always do that in the future. Will reserve judgement till everything is tiled, grouted and caulked. The tiles are a shade higher than the Schluter trim but I suppose that's better than being lower.
Attached Images

Old 11-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #206
workhurts

Would you believe that I'm almost ready to grout?

For the gray floor and 1 wall, I've decided on sanded Silverado by TEC and for the mosaic walls unsanded Delorean gray (polyblend). I don't mind the traditional grouts and in my samples I did they set up hard as a rock and colors were acceptable.

Caulk question. What color? Was going to use a matching caulk Silverado and Delorean but which one where.

1- wall to floor transition.
2- wall to wall (blue tile to gray tile)
3- wall to ceiling.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #207
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What size joints do you have in the blue tiles?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #208
workhurts

They widest are 1/8" (barely), the majority are 3/32 or somewhere in between. I could probably use sanded but the tile is really glazed and I'm afraid of scratching and also the tile is nice a shiny so a sanded wouldn't look as good.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #209
workhurts

A bit of progress. I did grind down the back of the baseboard tiles. About 1.5" x 1/16" off the back. Just enough for the Schluter trim to set a bit more flush.

Anyway, dry fitting everything. Doesn't look half bad. Shame it'll all be obscured by a toilet and vanity.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2018, 10:30 PM   #210
workhurts

Efflorescence anyone? Blah. So just grouted one side (the mosaic). With tec non sanded in Delorean gray. Pita. 12 lbs to do about 75 sq ft.

Anyway, pretty blotchy. 99% sure it's efflorescence.

From reading online, seems the solution is to scrub with a stiff bristled brush (if caught early without digging into the grout). Or waiting 10 days for the grout to cure and hitting it with some acid. Or coloring.

What do you guys recommend?

Will try the other side with distilled water. Not using too much water in cleanup but probably overworking the joints. The edges of the tile have a relatively significant cushion edge so I'm having to move a lot of grout out of the joints.

Grout has been up for 2-3 hours now.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase