Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-05-2018, 09:09 PM   #46
rmckee84

Granite, quartz, solid surface, glass any will work. No real need for L brackets, just cut the tile on the sides of the niche to where you want the shelf then set the piece of whatever you choose and set the next piece of tile above it. That will lock the shelf in
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #47
cx
Da Home Builder

Not sure I understand what you're trying to do, Tim, but if you want to put a glass shelf horizontally across a niche, why not simply set it into the tile on either side?

[Edit] I see I'm a little late with that advice, but I hadn't seen Ryan's post. Here's a photo of what I think we're recommending:

Name:  Niche 2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  33.1 KB

One good source for niche ideas is our Alumni Photo Album forum. Lots of photos of different niches.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #48
Kman

Just remember to cut the supporting tile at a slant, about 1/16" is enough, so that the shelf tilts a little higher at the back. It needs to shed water just like any other horizontal surface in the shower.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #49
timsdl72

That was my first thought but a couple of things crossed my mind. The first was the visibility of the cut tile edge and/or niche material through the glass. Wasn't sure if that would look finished. Second was replacement if/when my wife breaks it! Seemed like a solution might be something similar to the little shelf brackets you sometimes see in cabinets where the shelf sits on top and is removable. Might be useful for cleaning as well?

Anyway, sounds like I'm drifting away from conventional and that usually means I'm in violation of Occam's razor!

Thanks for the reminder on the slope too!
Old 10-06-2018, 04:26 PM   #50
Gozo

Tempered glass is hard to break from the middle. Since the ends would be embedded, shed have to really slam something on them. Like a hammer. If it were my shower, Id be concerned about trying to keep them clean. My water here is kind of acidic and has lots of dissolved solids making for eventual etching on horizontal glass.
A piece of countertop material for a niche could probably be found for next to nothing in the leftover bin from a backsplash at a local stone place.
You could also come up with something with the same tile youre using similar to these:
https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...0&postcount=76
For my taste 2 is crazy thick for a niche shelf. Youll come up with something. Personally, Id avoid buried brackets. Seems like too many opportunities down the road to have to dig em out.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:50 PM   #51
cx
Da Home Builder

Tim, as I recall the shelf in my photo is tempered 3/8ths" glass and is not even supported across the back. With glass shelves I like to keep them a strong 1/16th" away from the back wall and I don't pay any attention to sloping them. They tend to drain just fine and I've not had a call for a broken one to date.

Don't recall ever putting one in a shower that would be subject to abuse from sub-adults of the species, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #52
timsdl72

Thanks all. I'll start looking through the pics as suggested. I do like the idea of spacing the shelf off of the back slightly. Makes great sense and no downside I can imagine. I do like the glass but now I feel like there may be other options to consider. I appreciate it!

BTW, the Raimondi system is saving my butt. Found that tip among the posts.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:25 AM   #53
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

You could use a natural stone or a solid surface material like Corian.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase