Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-04-2018, 07:36 PM   #16
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Philip, I think that'll work fine. You can also find those made out of marble.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #17
pdbrantley

Peter,

Yes, a raising hinge would be ideal! I've searched a good bit and it doesn't look like anyone is making them for glass doors. I'm with you and wondering if there may be a market for something like that.

Davy,
Great! I think this is what I'll go with. Thanks for the advice.

In an unrelated note, I'm having some issues with my mud bed. It went in okay, but took a while. It's been a few days now and it has set up hard. It takes weight fine and nothing feels spongy. However, it was a bit sandy. I'm getting ready to put Redgard over it and I saw somewhere else in the forum where it was recommended to use a vacuum cleaner to remove the grit.

That worked fine, except for a bit by the transition into the bathroom. See pics. I think I have crumbled away everything that is crumbly. I'm not sure why this happened. Although it is the last area that was filled so maybe my mud was a bit dry by then... Does it look like it might turn into a larger problem or should I be able to cover this area with thinset since it is only about a quarter of an inch deep? Also was wondering if it would be a good idea to do a skimcoat of thinset over the whole mud bed to give a good surface to accept the Redgard?
Attached Images

pdbrantley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #18
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yeah, skim coat the whole floor with thinset. It'll give the mud a hard crust on top. After the thinset dries, go over it lightly with a rub stone, then vacuum again.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...PROFILE_WS-WSK

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase