Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 10-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #1
joeconroy3

Test for hardness of grout

Please point me to credible standards and documentation for testing the hardness of non-sanded grout. Polyblend tech guy mentioned the fingernail and credit card scraping test but that seems like lore, not documented anywhere by "authorities" such as TCNA or NTCA. And yes, my Prism non-sanded 1/8" floor grout, put down 3 mo ago by an $80/hr guy, does scrape up into powder by scraping with a credit card drawn length-wise down the grout line with the edge of card perpendicular to the line.
Old 10-05-2018, 11:17 AM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Joe.

Closest you'll get is the ANSI Standard for Standard Cement Grouts (A118.6) and High Performance Cement Grouts (A118.7) where the compressive strength is listed. For both categories and for both sanded and unsanded cementitious grouts, the compressive strength at 28 days is a minimum of 3,000 psi.

An installed grout meeting that standard would not yield to the edge of a credit card.

An installed grout that can be scraped out with a credit card was likely mixed with too much water or too much water was used in the clean-up, or both. Or perhaps the grout had passed its expiration date before it was used.

And 80-dollar-per-hour tile installer should recognize that.

How long had your grout cured when you "tested" it?

What grout did you use? Please be specific: Name brand, make and model.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
Dave Gobis
da Man!

There is no such test, and I do a lot of testing. I agree with CX, it should be nearly as hard as concrete. Closest thing you could come up with to answer the question is it any good would be a petrographic analysis using thin slides and someone that knows how to read it all. That is not inexpensive as you might imagine. The floor would have to be cored and the core seperated and prepped in the lab.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
joeconroy3

Durometer readings

CX and Dave, thanks much for your help. What about using the specs of the manufacturer - Custom Building Products - who told me a reading of at least 50 on a durometer is ok for the Prism grout that was used, anything less was not mixed correctly. The result is not psi as stated in this Wikipedia description: "The Vickers test can be used for all metals and has one of the widest scales among hardness tests. The unit of hardness given by the test is known as the Vickers Pyramid Number (HV) or Diamond Pyramid Hardness (DPH). The hardness number can be converted into units of pascals, but should not be confused with pressure, which uses the same units. The hardness number is determined by the load over the surface area of the indentation and not the area normal to the force, and is therefore not pressure."

I think this is the same measurement used to gauge the hardness of woods and other materials.

Last edited by joeconroy3; 10-05-2018 at 05:46 PM.
joeconroy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM   #5
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Custom Building Products - who told me a reading of at least 50 on a durometer is ok for the Prism grout that was used
50 what, Joe? On what scale? A reading of 50 on a durometer doesn't mean much without knowing the scale, at least.

Again, the tile industry has no test or standard for the hardness of cementitious grout. If the manufacturer specifies, in writing, a particular test and an acceptable hardness, that would be the best you could hope for.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Durometers tend to be used on softer things like rubber and plastics. There are multiple scales and the resulting shape of the test probe.

Not sure if it's really applicable to something like a cement based grout. It would work on epoxy based or one-part plastic based ones, though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shore_durometer

FWIW, 50, depending on the scale, isn't really all that hard.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase