Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Found usc_block_11 empty, added this: [CODE] [/CODE]
Sponsors

Old 07-11-2018, 08:52 AM   #1
ganch

Cat threw up on black marble

The cat could have barfed anywhere, but it picked the marble in front of my fireplace. I tried Superior brand poultice stain remover but it didn't do anything. The photo shows the hazy irregular circle that remains. Any idea on how I can get rid of it? Also open to suggestions on how to get rid of the cat, without my family killing me.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Ganch,

I think the marble might be slightly etched. Acid in the cat's stomach.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I agree that the surface has been etched. This isn’t a stain that you’re dealing with. It's physical damage to the once smooth surface. Because the surface is microscopically rough, instead of smooth and glossy, the light refracts off it unevenly. And this greatly diminishes the color of the stone. It makes it look dull. The proper fix is to restore the rough surface to ultra smooth by grinding it with diamond polishing pads, starting with coarser grits and progressively using finer and finer grit pads. It’s not unlike sanding wood with sandpaper, continuously sanding with finer and finer sandpaper.

Only, there’s a catch. It’s kinda challenging to match the perfect factory gloss using little pads. It’s easy enough to get to a glossy surface, but it may not blend perfectly with the rest of the tile. It’s like when a car door is damaged and they go to paint...they aren’t going to apply the paint and clear coat layers to just the damaged spot....they will paint the whole door. Likewise, it might be easier to restore the whole tile. Or do the final polishing across all your tiles to unify the glossy sheen.

In order of easiest (for you) to most effort (and consequently the most expensive to the least expensive):
1) Hire a stone refinishing pro to restore the tile. They may end up polishing more tile than just the spot to get the glossy finish to blend.
2) Purchase your own polishing pads and grinder set up to polish them yourself. There are dry pads and wet pads. I’ve always had better results with wet pads, but they are kind of obnoxious to use indoors as it sprays a lot of water.
3) Use an enhancing sealer and/or topical film sealer on the etched spot. The sealer will fill in a fair amount of the rough surface, restoring the way light reflects off a smooth surface instead of refracting off a rough surface. You will bring back much richness to the tile. But make no mistake, the etching damage remains. It’s hard to predict how good or bad it would look using this cheap “fix”/band aid.
4) Is this tile squares, or is this a bid ol’ Slab? The last option is cheap and will restore the tile back to new if these are tile squares. But it’s a little intimidating. It’s to simply remove and replace the tile. Finding a tile (hopefully there’s one hiding in the basement or garage) is usually the tough part. But removing a tile isn’t too tough. We can talk you through each of the steps if you’re interested.

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 07-11-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Ganch.

I can tell you how to fix the cat, but then I'd get hate mail, so I won't.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:18 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Something tells me he was gonna suggest a catapult.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #6
ganch

thanks

many thanks for your advice - I don't have any of the tile anywhere, and I'm not terribly handy. so I think I'll go with the pro option. appreciate you taking the time. cat threw up on the rug yesterday, much easier to deal with.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase