Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
azgunn

Steam Generator Recommendations?

I am in the initial design stages of replacing a 10 year old steam shower in my basement with a brand new one.

Looking for recommendations for a Brand/Manufacturer of Steam Generator.

There are sure a lot of companies making these things. Not sure how a guy can know which are good and which are maybe not so good. I am looking at around 130-140 cubic feet in the new shower.

I just finished the tear out of a porcelain tile shower over Green board with very small grout lines. No waterproofing anywhere. Pan was a preformed plastic pan. The whole shower is framed in steel studs. There was only a little water damage in the one corner of the seat because water would puddle there due to no slope. I feared that I was going to run into mold everywhere when I saw the sheet rock but there just wasnt any. Might be because of how dry it is in Colorado. I have only lived in this house 5 years so I dont know how much use the shower got those first 5 years, but I have used that shower ever morning. I used the steamer in that shower at least 3 days a week. So it is not due to lack of use that there wasnt leaks. The only reason I tore it out is the old generator quit and the tiles are all cracked on both of the seats. All they did was put green board over the woodseat. No plywood and then they tiled it. Hmmm wonder why it failed.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 01-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
CountryBumkin

Send a message via ICQ to CountryBumkin
I purchased the Mr Steam unit. I researched the web and read reviews, but one of the deciding factors was the recommendations of the sales staff at www.steamsaunabath.com. I also like that the Mr Steam units have a large range of finishes so you can find something that matches your shower fixtures. I have not finished my shower yet so I can't comment on how well it works.
Good luck
Old 01-09-2010, 09:21 AM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Mike.

There is always a lot of discussion and much information on this topic over yonder to our friend Terry Love's forum.

I'd go read a bit over there and maybe axe some specific questions if you still have some after that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
irish tileguy in michigan
Tile Contractor -- S.E. Michigan

Mike,
What the other Mike said, Mr. Steam is a desent residetial steam unit, go to their site and you can see the different models for different size steamers.
Dont rebuild without putting a membrane of some kind on the interior of the shower whether its Kerdi or a liquid applied membrane like Hydroban.
Do some reserch on it before you build.

Laticrete Hydroban & Schluter Kerdi shower installs
Custom installation of Tile and stone
irish tileguy in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase