Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 AM   #3061
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I usually make a mud screed around the shower on float day. Then it's set and ready to go the next day. I haven't set tiles the same day as floating in a long time. I'm getting slower and the showers are getting larger.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #3062
Just In Tile LLC

Every shower I do seems to grow a little bit larger even though they measure the same from the last one Davy.

Hey Shawn, took some pics of my curb build today. Iíll have them up when I get home.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 PM   #3063
Just In Tile LLC

Going to post the pics then give an explanation. I donít usually tile same day, but since the job is an hour away Iím doing what I can to save time.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 06:48 PM   #3064
Just In Tile LLC

Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 PM   #3065
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice job. Hopefully you aren't short-changing yourself. Folks want all the bells and whistles but then complain about the price.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #3066
Just In Tile LLC

A better shot of the cutting with mini L-edge. Itís upside down though so hopefully a mod can flip
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2019, 07:05 PM   #3067
Just In Tile LLC

Appreciate it Davy,

So, I do the sides first (outside first then inside) by using my L-edge for the top cap of the mud, L-edge paralleled to the back wall where I want it. Having the edge sit on top gives the mud somewhere to suction up against as you push it into curb sides. I overfill slightly, gently slide the edge off and do the inside curb the same way.

At this point it's a waiting game for the mud to hit the point I like, it'll indent with your finger but won't stick to you. I started making my outside cuts while I waited. I made them taller than the dam as a whole so I could use them to screed off of later.

Wet set them and then using my torpedo I measured what level was on the inside of the dam (since I couldn't hold level and tape measure and phone the level just sat there) and subtract a 1/4" for any variation of my preslope. Cut the inside pieces.

Last edited by Just In Tile LLC; 01-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.
Just In Tile LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #3068
Just In Tile LLC

Oops skipped the screeding part, So once the mud hit the magic point, I re-lay the L-edge on top, recheck parallel and using the L part (not the front of your edge) I'll ride the mini edge against it as I cut in a circular motion. I'll usually eyeball it erroring on the side of slightly overcutting so my sides don't flare out at the bottom. You can wood float it also using the back of your edge as a guide and it keeps the mud locked in. Gently slide it off and do the inside same way.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:20 PM   #3069
Just In Tile LLC

Wet set the inside and then filled in the top gently and then screeded off my tiles. The tiles were leveled outside first, then inside, then rechecked for slope before I floated top. Keep in mind I don't normally tile out same day, but thought I'd explain that as well if you ever HAVE too. So to float and tile this curb took just over an hour.

Normally I'll float just the sides on mud day, I personally don't float the curb top until tiles are in and wet set the top.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #3070
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'll bounce around if I can. I might mud the inside and outside of the curb and then mud part of the niche or front of the seat while I'm waiting for the curb mud to set.

Here's a fireplace we've been working on. Up each side was pretty straight and plumb but the wall wasn't flat. I set 1/2 inch thick sticks up the sides and had 1 inch of mud in places near the middle. It's 12 ft high and nearly 9 ft wide. Tiles are 13 1/8 x 39 1/2 with 1/16 joints.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-16-2019, 07:46 PM   #3071
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Here's a pic of the tile. The fabricator will install a frame of quartz down the sides and top and also around the firebox. I'll pour a raised hearth tomorrow. It'll be covered with quartz too.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 01-16-2019, 08:44 PM   #3072
smifwal

Thanks for the write up Justin. I never thought about wet setting the curb. I always wonder how and what you meant when you said you did the pan last looking at the pictures it makes sense now. Did you use the go devil?
Old 01-16-2019, 09:25 PM   #3073
Just In Tile LLC

Looks really good Davy and you bring up why itís so sweet to mud on a large wall like that, FLAT! The wall can read true in multiple spots but turn your level horizontal and that baby rocks like a see-saw. With tile like that youíd want it as flat as possible.

No problem Shawn, I said I would.... only took a couple months to halfway document it. and if my explanation is off or confusing in areas feel free to ask. Iíve used the go devil a couple times now, but this bathroom was tight and Iím still kinda messy with it so I didnít chance it.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:15 PM   #3074
Just In Tile LLC

Tried out this flashing by DuPont for my niche corners, itís called flex wrap. Itís a bit pricey around $200 for 75í but WOW this stuff is amazing! Going around the corner with no cut just stretches to fit. Iíll be using it for just the ďbootĒ part from now on.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2019, 09:39 PM   #3075
cx
Da Home Builder

Have used that flex wrap for years on exteriors of doors and windows in new construction, Justin. Problem I've seen often is that it likes to come unstuck on the parts that are stretched around the corner. Frequently find it necessary to staple it a bit. But I agree it's useful stuff.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase