Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Old 11-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #3016
CaliGrown

Chicken war is all there is for one coats in California, only time we use diamond lath is for two coats, benches, pans and curbs
Old 11-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #3017
cx
Da Home Builder

Expanded metal lath is probably listed as cancer-causing in California, Chris.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #3018
CaliGrown

Just about everything has a prop 65 warning, you’d think the whole state would have cancer.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:23 PM   #3019
Just In Tile LLC

Yeah y’all and your Aquabar B Wish I could get some
Old 11-06-2018, 12:05 AM   #3020
smifwal

Justin Justin Justin www.homedepot.com ship to your local store. I have 3 rolls in the barn. 30lb tar paper is way cheaper though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
I think 17 gauge is about the minimum, Shawn.
I watch this stucco guy for tips and tricks and he seems pretty knowledgeable. This is where I got that information. What ya think?

https://youtu.be/ihp0QaUZc18

Last edited by smifwal; 11-06-2018 at 12:13 AM.
smifwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #3021
cx
Da Home Builder

If you like your stucco guy's information better than the ANSI A108 information, Shawn, you feel free to use it.

Old 11-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #3022
Just In Tile LLC

I’ll try it Shawn, sounds like a winner
Old 11-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #3023
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
If you like your stucco guy's information better than the ANSI A108 information, Shawn, you feel free to use it.
Not saying that, just trying to clarify. I don't put too much stock in what I see on YouTube any more, so I am trying to sort fact from fiction.
I have readily available Amtico paper backed lath for $4.00 cheaper a sheet than I can buy unpaper backer for at homer so I use that. I, like Derrick see people using it and wonder could I be using that? The all look the same to the untrained eye so if I seen someone using what looks like poultry netting and didn't ask hey what is that or if I did and they didn't say yep that 17 gauge stucco netting I would think I could use the chicken wire. Now you answered that for me and everyone else with the ANSI 108.
Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #3024
cx
Da Home Builder

Back when I usta frequent the national technical committee meetings, Shawn, I learned many things about the various industry proclivities in various parts of the country, with special emphasis on California. I'll wager you can find all manner of poultry mesh and stucco lath being used and argued in favor of.

And even your local tile installation materials supplier may also not be much of a proponent of proper material use. When we held a mud training course in Dallas some years back, the local Dal Tile shop provided some of the instsallation materials at no cost. Among said materials was the metal lath for wall mud and all that lath was 1.75 pound material, even though the ANSI standards clearly call for a minimum of 2.5 pound lath. Why would a national outlet for such material even carry something with no application in their industry? I dunno. Would the use of such material in a mud shower result in premature failure? I dunno. Was a lot of it being employed in the creation of mud showers? I would hafta bet on yes.

And while some grains of salt may sometimes be indicated in material and method selection, the consensus opinions expressed in the industry standards are still a good base-line in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:13 PM   #3025
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

We've always used 2.5 when we could find it, which usually wasn't a problem. Occasionally we used 1.75 and I don't recall any problems, but who knows. We didn't like the 1.75 mainly because it was more flimsy and didn't want to lay flat.

I did notice 2.5 lath a Home Depot the other day for 9.97 a sheet. Can't ever remember paying that much before.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #3026
smifwal

Thanks CX for the clarification. I try to go out of my to do things right, as I should I know and if I don't know about it I sure will ask.

Davy you guys are getting it cheap down there lath at HD up here near $13/sheet
Old 11-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #3027
CaliGrown

You guys gotta go out to your local mason yard for diamond lath, you’ll get a much better deal. They’ve always beaten the big boxes by $4-6 bucks a sheet depending on quantity. Paid $6.10 a sheet last time I went.
Attached Images

Old 11-07-2018, 06:23 AM   #3028
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I believe the masonry supply I buy from charges about 7 bucks. Not bad.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:40 AM   #3029
Just In Tile LLC

I was reading down and I'm glad you clarified that CX, I also agree that every standard listed isn't there to just say something on paper, it's there because of numerous studies and/or professional experience backing it and should be the method we follow. (Which this site has brought to my attention multiple times and am thankful for) but... like you've mentioned, the suppliers not carrying said material is the real world challenges we face as a small business trying to turn a profit.

An example being small towns USA, the options aren't always there from a supply standpoint. Reminds me of a topic we discussed before about caulking, why suppliers don't carry color matched siliconized caulking which is listed in our standards.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #3030
smifwal

I think I am paying around $8 after tax/sheet for paper backed at my local supply house. I was shocked at the price at home depot especially after I realized how many people I have seen walking out with it on a cart.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase