Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #1
chaindriven

Outside the alcove

I'm at the part in this bathroom reno where I've fixed all the framing and done all the rough, and am wondering what the best practice is for continuing tile, waterproofing, and backerboard past the edge of the tub.

Here's what I'm planning...In the photo, the joint between the new 2x6 on edge and old 2x4 is 32" from the corner. I'm thinking of running Durock to that joint, where drywall will take over. Will thinset and mesh tape that joint and then apply hydroban a couple inches past the joint. This will leave me with alternating courses of a full tile and two half-tiles, each with a 2" bullnose. The bullnose straddles the joint between the hydroban and untreated drywall (I'm painting, but well shy of the tile, and will fill that in later.)

BTW...If you notice the gap between the tub and wall, it has yet to be furred out. In process (see plywood at bottom plate). But wanted to resolve this first.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Thanks, Mark

PS been lurking a long time. This forum gets mad props for being a place where people can disagree without getting ugly. Who knew there was such a place on the internet??
Attached Images

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Last edited by chaindriven; 05-21-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: left out a detail
chaindriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
I'm thinking of running Durock to that joint, where drywall will take over. Will thinset and mesh tape that joint and then apply hydroban a couple inches past the joint.
Forgive my density, but you don't appear to have "a couple inches" of wall past that joint. What am I missing?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:21 PM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

In a perfect world, joints in drywall and tile backer wouldn't land on framing joints, but if that's unworkable, I'd just make that 2x6 and 2x4 as close to one-ness as possible with fasteners and maybe PL Premium. Mesh tape and bed as you describe should be adequate.

If you're furring the whole wall, why not rip a strip of ply to bridge across the 2x4 and 2x6?

Silicone Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #4
chaindriven

Peter- You mean like this?
That was the plan all along, but I was wanting to get my question asked.
I should just have waited until I had it done.
Attached Images

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.

Last edited by chaindriven; 05-21-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: left out reference to person
Old 05-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #5
chaindriven

CX-
The Hydro Ban is brush applied to the cement backer and the drywall, just beyond the joint. Now, I'm afraid I'm the dense one. I posted an updated photo in a different reply...
Mark

Last edited by chaindriven; 05-21-2019 at 02:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #6
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I think CX was imagining a doorway to the right of tub there. I'm assuming that's a stud bay...correct?

Silicone Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
chaindriven

Ahhhh. Now I get it. Correct. It's a stud bay.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Thanks, Peter. Yes, that's what I thought.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM   #9
chaindriven

removing two 2x2 mosaics from newly laid floor

So, I don't know exactly how this happened (a lie: it was a few moments of inattention while setting, and then a few more while "reviewing").

Anyway, I have two tiles that stand proud of the rest of the floor (shown in harshest possible lighting). They stand about 1/16" proud of the rest of the floor on one edge. These were set yesterday. I'll take whatever time and care it takes to get these out and properly replace them, but I'm not sure what the best approach is: Inclined to drill a series of holes with a small diamond bit as deep as the tile is thick, and then use a bung chisel to break up the pieces. Other thoughts welcome...

I did a search, but most of the results were wall related.

Other info: 5/16" porcelain, Laticrete 253, 1/4" CBU over 1-1/4" plywood (two sheets), 3/16" X 1/4" v-notch trowel carefully held at a right angle.

Thanks for any advice.
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Since they're over CBU, Mark, I'd just use a nail punch. Start at a corner of the high edge, work your way back.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #11
chaindriven

How beautifully, primitively simple. Thanks :-)

Old 06-27-2019, 05:57 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Right?

That's how I removed a 12X24 tile on my floor that I screwed up. LOL
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase