Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM   #1
Greg H

Grouting Pebble Stones in a shower

I am getting ready to build my shower pan. I have a concrete slab home. Once I get my mortar bed and pan liner installed, I will be ready to tile. I am looking to install pebble stone, ( the flat stones), for the floor. I have a couple of samples of the 12" x 12" mesh cards with the stones attached for ease of installation to look at. I noticed that most all of the stones have been set close to each other on the mesh. All of the different stones I see available have the stones set touching each other. I am concerned about how to get grout in between these areas where the stones touch. Will this be a problem later for me with water getting through the stones?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Grout is not supposed to stop the water thats water the waterprooing is for.. I would slope toward the drain 3/8 pf to help it drain.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Greg.

What Eric said.

I agree that it is poor that the tile manufacturer has the stones actually touching, but it's not an uncommon situation. Unfortunately, if you cannot get grout in those joints, you'll get something else in there over time and the something else will be less attractive than grout.

But if your shower receptor is properly constructed, you really have only an aesthetic problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Greg,

Most of the pebble tiles are sold that way, and it doesn't worry me. The most important thing is to make all the sheet separations disappear. It entails removing and replacing tiles around the edges of all sheets. Takes a lot of time, but it's got to be done. We have an article with pictures on the site.

https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/ho...-pebble-tiles/
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase