Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #1
jrok

wall uneven after installing kerdi membrane

hello, I'm a new subscriber here but have lurked around for months now. I am attempting to diy a tiled shower and chose kerdi to water proof with. I installed hardi-backer underneath. I'm not 100 percent sure if this wall was already saging in or if this is from too much unmodified thinset under the kerdi overlap layers (build up), but the problem is right at the edge of the shower where it converts back to regular drywall. here are some pics of how severe a gap we are talking!!

can this gap be built up with thinset prior to tiling? or what are my options?

btw I appreciate you reading my thread and would look forward to your replies. I tend to obsess over projects like this and am sure i will be checking this thread non stop . lol
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #2
Collinjo

I don’t see a problem in the pictures but that’s not to say that there aren’t any. If the thinset is not mixed wet enough, it can make it difficult to smooth out under the membrane. It you’re concerned about a lump under the membrane, you could always cut out that section of the membrane to fix it. Just remember to cover it back up using a 2 inch overlap of the membrane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #3
bellabella

As I recall the mix needs to pretty thin when you lay up the kerdi. It's also a good idea to check to wall with a straight edge to make sure it is even before waterproofing , even when you have bare studs. I suppose at this point you could try and feather the bulge out with thinset but you could still end up with a noticeable bulge in the tiled wall.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

www.bellavistatile.com
bellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
jrok

maybe your not able to see the gap in those pics. heres a couple more . this issue has occurred the entire vertical span of the shower and there is a seam of 2 kerdi pieces just before. i had the mapei unmodified membrane mortar pretty wet and though i got the seams squished out pretty well. so this issue may have been there from the framing out. idk.

the last pic is to show where the issue is. like is said its like this all the way up the wall .
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Jason.

Hmm...most of the pictures don’t make sense to me. I can’t fit them into the context of your question because they are too close to understand where they are within the shower. But bear with us for a question or two and I’m sure we can assist you.

I’ll focus on the very last picture posted just above my post. Is the “gap” directly at the seam between the Kerdi and drywall? Or is it onto the Kerdi by about 6”?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:28 PM   #6
jrok

your right the perspective is off . the picture with the cement board screw i was trying to show the size of the gap. the tile in that case is laying flat on the rest of the shower but can fit the screw head in it there if that makes sense.

and the last one is right at the edge that im talking about and also pointing to with the level in the other picture. it is right between the drywall and that kerdi seam. the main point is that the wall is now uneven and i can rock the tile atleast an eight of an inch ! and its not just in one spot its the enitre height of the shower from the curb to the ceiling.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #7
Kman

So this is a vertical seam, correct?

And I'm assuming you just overlapped the sheets without using Kerdi band.

It's one of the pitfalls of the waterproof membranes. If you have a stud that's slightly proud of the others, then you place a vertical seam on it, or close to it, you end up with a bulge in the wall.

Only way to fix it is to replace it. If you go that route, cut a little to the right of that seam and remove the membrane, making sure the wall is clean of mortar. Then replace it, preferably with the seam comprised of Kerdi band.

Or you can disguise it by building up your mortar a little on both sides. Not ideal, but as long as you don't exceed the thickness of the mortar as recommended by the manufacturer, then it's okay. However, if you're using small tile, like a mosaic, this probably isn't the best option.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Is it actually a bulge right there? or is it flat to that point and then bends? If it just bends an easy way to fix it might be to simply add a strip of Kerdi band right there.

If it's a bulge then you'll have to cut a section out and fix it. The bulges are trouble.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #9
jrok

just bends out right there. I think i'm going to go ahead and try adding a strip of kerdi next to it like you suggested. If i wanted to just cut out the kerdi and start over at that seem how would i remove the thinset anyways considering its already dried and set?
Old 04-29-2019, 07:53 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

If you were to cut and peel a portion of the membrane and were left with excessive mortar, you can grind it down with a rub brick. You can find them with the masonry tools. It’ll grind down mortar in a jiffy.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
jrok

where should i put ledger board?

hello all,

this is probably a no-brainer and i think I am over complicating it. i have an 83 inch height on my shower wall after the floor tiles are in. I'm trying to decide how much of the first tile i should cut. the tiles measure 5 7/8 and i have 1/8 spacers.

should i cut the first tile so that the rest of the space fits full tiles? or just focus on the ledger being just a bit under the 5 7/8 and therefore also have to cut the top tile down?

thankyou !!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg

You have an ideal situation. You've got a layout that's condusive to nearly a full tile on the top and bottom...but it's not cutting it too close where there's almost no room to spare.

I'd center the height of your layout and locate your ledger based on that.

If you wanna make yourself very certain of no "surprises", dry lay a strip of 14 tiles, including spacers on the floor. Make sure it's at least 83", eh? Assuming that 14 courses is enough to fill your wall, measure out from the middle equally to get the exact height of your bottom course. Once you've got that measurement, add on 1/8" for the spacer and you've got your exact, exact height for the ledger.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #13
jrok

ok so your saying the ledger should be up the wall in this case halfways which should be just under 7 tiles? this way whatever measurement i get over 83 will be split from the top tile and bottom tile? or am i not understanding what you mean. lol.

Last edited by jrok; 05-16-2019 at 09:03 PM.
jrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
workhurts

Seems close enough that a dry layout on the floor with spacers is worth doing. Out of curiosity, how do you only have under 7' to the ceiling from the floor?
Old 05-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #15
jrok

ah yeah. there is a one foot drop to the ceiling just above the shower

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase