Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
WC53

Sunken shower filled in

Having a major bath remodel thanks to termites..... Been reading this forum forever and finally found a reason to register

Shower was 4 x 9 doorless design. 3” step down into a 3x4 landing area that rarely got wet and then another 6” step (after mud removal) into shower area. Two shower heads on separate walls. Original shower had a short pony wall and glass block. In Florida . My tile experience is floors not showers.

We would like to raise the sunken shower with concrete leaving room for a mud bed for the slope and to bring the landing area up to level with the main floor. The boss lady would like a 4’ x 4.5’ tiled pony wall (for privacy) with frameless glass above and to the side of the pony wall going to where the door opening is. All along one 9’ wall . Centered linear drain across 4’ distance.

Well my plumber and tile guy (both friends who owe me) don’t see eye to eye. Tile guy says to just run floor tile under the glass to the shower. Plumber says its going to leak and I should have a low curb under glass. glass guy is coming in a week for estimate.

Walls will be 12x24 tile with a kerdi backing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Tim
Old 05-16-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Tim.

If you'll put that geographic location into your User Profile it will appear permanently and be helpful in answering some types of questions. If not, it will be lost before we leave this page.

First time I've heard of a plumber in Florida worrying about a shower leaking. They usually don't even put a waterproof liner in those shower receptors that are below grade in a SOG floor.

I'm guessing you're on a slab on grade foundation?

As for the glass installation, I really like guessing there even less. A photo or a drawing of what you plan would help to keep us all on the same page.

If I understand the glass placement, I would side with the plumber on this one. If your shower receptor tile is on the same grade as your bathroom floor and you rely on nothing but caulking for water containment between the galss wall and the tile floor, you are very likely to have water on the bathroom floor sooner or later if this "landing area" catches any shower water at all. Again, I'm not at all sure I understand the proposed layout.

Whether this bit of leaking is something you will consider a problem is up to you. On doorless showers, of which I've built a good number, there is always some splash-out, but my customers have always considered that a very fair trade for the doorless option.

What waterproofing method have you planned for this shower receptor? Will the main shower footprint still be sunken below the bathroom floor grade somewhat?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #3
WC53

Lol... Florida is famous for its lack of plumbing standards. And no, there was not any type of moisture barrier in anything I demo’d....

Here is a photo that shows the location of the half wall and then where glass and open door is. We never had any water splash out in 20+ years. The designer my wife went to recommend we raise the levels to floor height as we have apparently gotten old..

Thanks for any input.

Tim
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #4
WC53

My wife is out of town with the designer stuff, here is my rendition. Please excuse the hand drawing, I never graduated to computers despite having several downloaded.

I hope this helps clear up my clouded thoughts

Thanks again,

Tim
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase