Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Jsmallberries

Check concrete floor for level?

Haven't needed this in quite some.

What is currently the best method to check for flat, not level, for concrete floors prior to tile install. And what corrective measures?

Any way to do this without spending too much?

I had an 8 foot aluminum straight edge, can't find it? Where to buy now, or is laser the way to go, marble, water pour, other?? Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi John. I use aluminum straight edges but you might find a straight 1x4 at the lumber yard if you're lucky.

I've used SLC with a primer along with a straight edge to fill the low spots. It really depends how bad the slab is. I've also mudded up many slabs with deck mud to get it flat if I have room for the added height. I've also used thinset for minor filling although it's not designed for this.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
houndzilla

do you have a laser level?

when I prepped my floor for SLC I mapped it on a 24" x 24" grid.

I set a datum point as 0" and then I took a decent long/stiff ruler with a corner spirit level and recorded the +/- change in height at each of the grid points.

The tightness of your surveying grid would rely on your method of flattening.

It's a little more intensive than just using a long straightedge but if gives you a real good idea of the condition of your floor, especially if you map it out on a scale floorplan.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #4
Jsmallberries

Don't have a laser, the concrete floor has been paint over-sprayed, guess I'll need to scarify/ grind off paint prior to adding self leveling as needed. Just found my 8 foot aluminum straight edge,,,,don't lend out tools, Didn't think I could lose something that big
Old 05-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
Jsmallberries

Houdzilla, I want to learn what you did, I will look into that. BTW my missing straight edge is a 10 foot 1x3 aluminum.

I found that what I thought was a high spot with a 4 foot level, is a low spot.

Hypothetically speaking, If one were not using tile, but a floating laminate floor
would one need to mechanically grind the floor and use a bonding agent with the self leveling mix. Hypothetically speaking of course.. you guys just know more
Old 05-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #6
Jsmallberries

The room is 10'4" x 11'8.5"
Just checked with my 10 foot aluminum straight edge. . In side to side direction it's not more than about 1/8+ off. When I check it the long way it's just over 1/4" gap, just out of spec. On one end of the room, app 1.5 feet from the wall the long way is high, by 1/4 inch.
So if I add self leveling based on the straight edge placed the long way, it will be too high side to side in the middle
I assume,, I need to take down the one high side and re-check it, May not need any leveling.
It's hard to figure it out, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

I ordered this for dust collection. Mainly used for home projects wood mostly, maybe an occasional small concrete grinding job Any one know anything about this product? Any good?

The Dust Deputy Deluxe Anti-Static Cyclone Separator 5 Gallon Kit

I already have a 7" grinder w/diamond blade & shroud,

What would be a good size shop vac to add?

Last edited by Jsmallberries; 05-10-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Jsmallberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
Opus4

While grinding my slab before tiling, I used that Dust Deputy kit with a large Ridgid shop vac & put them both on a dolly for mobility.

There was hardly any dust, except when I started the grinder but forgot to turn the vac on. I still wore a full face respirator mask, though.

I like it and also used it vacuum the dust while sanding spackle, running wood tools, etc.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Jsmallberries

What gallon size, thanks
Old 05-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
Opus4

Mine was the 16 gallon model
Old 05-10-2019, 06:02 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Warped or twisted surfaces give you mixed results that initially seem confusing from the “X” to “Y” axis. Either run your straightedge on a bunch of angles to give yourself a truer idea of what’s really going on...

...or pull out the longest level you got. Snap a 2’ or 3’ grid on the floor. Start from the highest spot you can find in the rom.....then note the elevation changes from the high spot to the intersections of your grid. If you start from the high spot, you can put a stack of coins at the low intersections to help you leap-frog the level around the room. When your done, you’ll see where things are warped and what you need to shave down or fill.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If the high spot isn't very large, do some grinding on it. The cupwheel will eat it up.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #12
Jsmallberries

Thanks for the replies,

I need a new 7" angle grinder, any recommendations?, occasional use.

I had a Dewalt I think it was DW840, got way too hot and burned up while using it with a diamond cup wheel, couldn't handle it.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #13
UP_Builder

Get a Milwaukee 9”. Super heavy duty and you can still use 7” wheels with it. I used one fitted with a 14” diamond blade for cutting concrete and it did very well!
Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Jake. Welcome to the forum.

www.davystephenstile.com
Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM   #15
Jsmallberries

Grinding set up, see photo.

Ended up with 7" Hitachi, which is now Metabo. This would have work great, but the vacuum is an old dayton from grainger. Not working too well, poor suction power. Even with that, quite a lot of concrete powder spun into the dust deputy bucket. If I had a better vacuum and a dust shroud that fit better, this can be a pretty good substitute to the higher priced dust collectors.

BTW, I can't get the diamond cup off, no access due to shroud, any advice please.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase