Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-08-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
BradLI

New Masterbath Remodel

I am just starting the planning stages of my masterbath remodel. One of my biggest initial decisions is whether or not to do a curbless shower. Its something I really want to do but in order to do it without raising the rest of the bathroom floor too high I have to position the drain towards the shower opening. The picture is what I am planning right now. In this configuration, I would have to add an additonal sheet of 1/2" plywood which is acceptable to me.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 12:26 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Brad, I usually tell folks that either the bath floor has to come up or the shower floor has to go down. That allows for the waterproofing and pitch of the floor. You will need to decide which waterproofing method you want and use the appropriate drain for that system. For curbless showers, we usually recommend a surface applied membrane instead of the traditional pan liner. The floor for the surface applied system is thinner since only one mud bed is needed. I've used a traditional pan liner with a curbless shower but the shower floor was lowered 3+ inches.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Spencer84

You should consider a second drain in the shower area proper. With the one drain so far away if it is clogged, the shower user would never notice.

You also need to account for the height of the drain. Which depending on the drain is about an inch.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #4
BradLI

I am going to use Ditra Heat for the floor waterproofing and the whole bathroom.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:09 AM   #5
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Brad, though the dimensions are different the lay out of your MB and mine are very similar. I did a curbless shower and heated floor. It's a long read because I tend to blather on, but you may find my thread useful, I'm tiling the shower walls now.

Cutting to the chase, doing a curbless is going to add height, and the bits for the heated floor will too. There are ways to minimize it but I'd count on at least 3/4" over your previous finished floor. At least.
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM   #6
BradLI

I revised the layout of the shower a little bit. Going to use a center drain with a USG Custom Shower Tray. Is this drain location OK? At this location I can get away with a tray perimeter thickness of 1".
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2019, 12:54 PM   #7
ss3964spd

That'll work, Brad, is just barely within USG's spec. As mine was.

With that one wall at an angle, you'll really need to make sure the framing for both those inside corners are dead plumb because you're going to have to miter the tile at those corners in order to make them look right.

Where are you going to put the shower valves?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
cx
Da Home Builder

Not sure how you'd figure that, Brad. The longest distance from your drain appears to be a little more than four feet and the minimum slope requirement is 1/4" per foot. Even if they can make you a foam tray that started at zero thickness at the drain (they can't), you'd still be a little short of the required minimum slope with a 1" perimeter height, appears to me.

I'd expect that body spray closest to the entry opening is gonna result in a good deal of splash-out onto the bathroom floor.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #9
ss3964spd

I just looked at your first drawing, noticed that the back wall is 7'8", not the 7'0" I saw the first time I looked.

cx is right, I don't think you'll have enough slope. FWIW, cx, from the USG site:

Shower trays with the center of the drain located less than 4 ft. from any wall will have a perimeter thickness of 1 in. The distance from the wall to the center of drain must be at least 10 inches. Shower trays with the center of the drain located more than 4 ft. from any wall, will have a perimeter thickness of 1-1/4 in.

Last edited by ss3964spd; 05-17-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #10
BradLI

I guess if it goes to 1.25" perimeter thickness thats fine too. I'm not going to recess the subfloor and might ramp the floor where the wall is because it will be a 10" wall. Maybe I should make the opening smaller than 3' so I dont get any splash out, or even angle the wall at the end.

I am going to use 3 individual controls (body spray, hand shower, and shower), to the right of the hand shower.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #11
cx
Da Home Builder

That's interesting, Dan. Do they give any indication what the thickness is at the drain on those foam trays?

I've always wondered how all these manufacturer's get by with less than the plumbing code required slope in those foam trays for tile installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

That one body spray is kinda pointing to the door 5 ' away. Those things spray!
I am using a ramp up to my doorless shower. I'm using ditra heat so that raises my entire floor 3/4" add in the SLC at 1/4" in main entry and 1/2" in the door to storage laundry sink and i will have a big step up into the bathroom. Some things you just do. Looking back i prolly shoulda chipped out my shower floor and sunk it 2".
Old 05-18-2019, 05:08 AM   #13
ss3964spd

Nowhere in their literature does USG specify what the thickness at the drain is, cx, not that I recall seeing anyway. But given that their round, blue "shower tray disk" is installed onto the subfloor - within a circular opening of the foam tray, and they don't have different thicknesses of that disk, the thickness at the drain is constant regardless of the size of the foam tray.

I didn't measure the disk, but do know it's at least 1/4" thick, maybe 5/16".
Old 05-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #14
ss3964spd

Brad, I have to wonder if a ramp up could be problematic, in both execution and in use. Whatever floor tile you use you'd have to have a grout joint where the ramp starts, which may not coincide with the rest of the layout. From a use perspective, any splash out (splout) will run down the ramp into the bathroom. And depending on how severe the angle is those ramped tiles are apt to be slippery, if only from wet feet.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM   #15
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Here's a way that it may work:

I don't know anything about USG shower pans but I have used the Wedi Ligno before so I'm using that as an example. But other brands may work.

But if you ordered a 48x60 Ligno (curbless) foam shower pan and an extension tray and set it up the way that I've drawn I think it would work?

It would get you to 7 ft. Maybe you make the shower shorter or put a bench or down on one end?

You could probably also do a 5x4 & 4x4 pans side-by-side with two drains? You'd probably have to call one of the companies tech support lines to go over some of these options to see what they think of them.

Just a couple of ideas.

Name:  wedi dwg.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  22.2 KB

Here are two links that I used for information. Wedi site and a vendor site that is, in some ways, easier to gather information.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase