Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 PM   #1
Stormy

Cleaning Grout from Slate Tile

We recently remodeled our house and had slate tile installed in the master bathroom. And, we had a lot installed: it is on the floor and on all four walls, and it's a large bathroom. The slate is dark and the grout is a light gray. When we moved back in, we thought we just needed to mop and all of the grouty stuff would go away. It is not thick - generally, it's just little deposits where there is surface unevenness. No amount of mopping is removing it. The tile has been sealed, so the grout is sealed in too.

What are our options for removing the grout from the surface of the tile? We are not tile people, so use lay people language haha!

I know this is probably somewhere else, so apologies for asking for info again.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Stormy.

First thing you should be doing is contacting the contractor you paid to have the slate installed. You shouldn't be dealing with any cleanup of his installation.

For our people to make any assessment at all, we need to know exactly what slate you have and exactly what grout was used. How long has it been since the tile was grouted?

We'll also need some photos of what you're looking at. You can attach photos from storage on your computer using the paper-clip icon above the Reply dialog box.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #3
Stormy

I'm still looking for the name/manufacturer of the tile and grout, but thought I would post the pix I took.

We moved back into the house just over a year ago. We thought the look of the tile was just, uh, dust, or something that would go away when we mopped. We held onto that illusion for too long and I think it's too late to call the contractor back in. SO, we either fix it ourselves or live with it.

I included a picture of half of the bathroom so you can see the extent of the tiling. There are wood window frames, mirrors, acrylic painted and wood cabinets, as well as the shower enclosure, all bumping up against the tile, so there are a lot of surfaces to contend with other than the tile.

My favorite is of the tile guy's actual hand
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Do you know the brand / name of the grout and sealant?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase