Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-30-2019, 09:10 PM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

Eddy, I've again combined your new thread with your project thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

I, for one, don't understand the question. Wedges in a T shape?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #17
Winndustries

The impression I get is you wanna install lippage clips under your ledger? I have never done that but with the tiles you plan on using under your ledger you would not Need clips as the tiles are to small.

www.winndustries.ca
Winndustries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #18
EDDY IN MONTREAL

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...1&d=1556716226

This is the tile wedge that I would like to use to make sure my tiles are even on all 4 sides. If I were to use a ledger board and my tile was sitting on it, how would I insert the wedge on the bottom of the tile so that it doesn't interfere with the ledger board?
The tiles that I am using are 12 x 24.
Attached Images

Last edited by EDDY IN MONTREAL; 05-01-2019 at 12:41 PM.
EDDY IN MONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #19
EDDY IN MONTREAL

bump
Old 05-01-2019, 04:32 PM   #20
cx
Da Home Builder

Not sure just why you'd wanna start your wall tiles 30 inches above the floor, Eddy, but if you wanna do that you'll just need to forgo the lippage control devices in that particular row. Or cut spaces in the top of your ledger board to accommodate the foot of the spacers before you attach the ledger.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:23 AM   #21
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thanks CX for answering my question.

I want to start my tiling 1 tile below my niche. That's the reason why I want to start so high. Hopefully, it is Ok in doing that?
My niche will have a metal trim all along the outside and I just want to make sure that my metal trim and tile line up perfectly horizontal. I am in not in a hurry to complete this project and I would like to do a great job. So far with everyone's comments, the bathroom is looking like a pro did it!
I will try your method of notching out a space on the ledger to accommodate the wedge as you described.
If you think that I am doing the niche wrongly, please advise me.
Many thanks
Eddy
Old 05-08-2019, 08:21 AM   #22
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Damaged tile on Shower floor

Hello everyone.

I really made a mistake! I put down a drop cloth on the shower floor but unfortunately when I dropped a 12x24 tile, it landed on its corner. Now I have a damaged 2x2 inch mosaic tile. Can this be removed and repaired?
My mosaic tiles on the shower floor are upon a Schluter membrane and a prefabbed slopped styrofoam tray.
The grout around the tile is an epoxy mortar about a month old.

Crossing my finger that it can be easy repaired. Many thanks in advance.
Eddy
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #23
MisterJJ

I had a very similar situation. Except I carefully protected my floor with yoga mats and plywood. Then as I was finishing up and getting ready to grout, I left my aluminum "I" frame level on the floor and when I picked it up the edge got caught between tiles and took a big chip out of a tile.

I got a diamond cutting wheel for the dremel and carefully cut an "X" into the tile, not quite all the way through. Then I used a screwdriver to finish breaking it apart and prying it up.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:55 AM   #24
cx
Da Home Builder

One of the reasons I recommend completing the ceiling and walls before even setting the drain when doing direct bonded waterproofing membrane showers. I'm not setting tiles above the bottom row after the floor has been completed. Not far to drop anything and don't hafta worry about setting a ladder on my nice, new floor tile.

You're gonna wanna be really careful removing that tile, Eddy, 'specially the part where you cut out the grout around it so you don't damage adjacent tiles. Breaking it as joe suggests is always a good idea, but I've never tried that when working over one of those foam trays. Again, lotsa care needs be exercised there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:12 PM   #25
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thanks Joe and CX,

That's a great idea. I have a Dremel drill. so all have to do is buy the blade.
I think I'll cut away the grout surrounding the tile with an xacto and then cut the tile into quarters. Then i'll try and use the blade to cut it out layer by layer. I really don't want to damage the Kerdi membrane.
My mistake starting with the floor. A really big ROOKIE mistake. I am going to buy some plywood to cover my floors. Money well spent!

Thanks
Eddy
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #26
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Hello everyone,

I have a niche tiling question,
Do I need to put expansions joint for my tiles in the niche or can they be butted up against each other? They look nicer without the joints. My niche is a 12x20 Schluter box. I am using, solid one-piece tiles for the back, bottom and sides for 2 individual holding areas (one for large shampoos and the other for hand soap.
If yes, is 1/8" a suitable expansion joint?

Many thanks once again.
Eddy

Last edited by EDDY IN MONTREAL; 05-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
EDDY IN MONTREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 AM   #27
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

How did that floor tile repair go?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #28
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Hi Teddy,

I didn't get a chance to do it yet. The diamond saw blade should work fine.
Thanks
Eddy
Old 05-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #29
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Dont forget to remove the grout first around that broken tile... or the forces transfer and can easily chip the next time... I learned the hard way.
I have a niche also and i am thinking it is stable box not like normal change of plane walls.
So I think normal grout can be used. Rather than silicone. Im not sure about tiles touching. I also put my ledger board one tile below my niche. Im using Quadec also. I may use the hot glue idea. I was thinking of doing the tile below and metal trim and bottom shelf all at the same time. But until you see how thick the tile and thiset will be on the bottom tile you don't know the length of metal to miter for the bottom Quadec.
So use the ledger board As a level to make sure the bottom niche tile matches that. If ledger board is low like I set mine use shims to raise so one tile then mates with the quadec. Hot glue a lone piece on so you know how wide to cut the bottom tile and then set it and raise or lower the metal staying level with laser level and then adjust ledger board and set wall tiles and finish Niche.
Oh I Decided putting the quadec on the wall is better than in the niche but it is done both ways on you tube.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #30
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Just got the broken tile out using Joe's suggestion. The small Dremel diamond blade worked like a charm. I cut it up in every direction into little pieces and some of them came out and the others I used a cold chisel to gently break them up. I am soooooo happy.

Here is the broken tile out and the new one in place. All I have to do is cement and grout it. At least my wall grout is the same color as my floors. Bonus.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase