Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Cork on small mosaic tile.

Hello everyone,

My shower is ready to tile. ) I will be using 12" x 24" porcelain tiles with a smaller mosaic 1" x 1" tile border between the larger tiles running up the shower wall as an accent.
My ceramic store rep tells me to apply mortar to the back of the mosaic tiles and then apply the cork board to it. Wait until it dries then apply mortar to my shower wall to lay my tiles.
All of this is to make up the difference between my larger 12 x 24 tile depth and the depth of my mosaics.

Does this make sense?
Does anyone have a better procedure?
Many thanks in advance to everyone who responds.
Eddy
Old 01-14-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi, Eddy.

Your salesperson is trying to be helpful, but you'll be mad as all get out at them after you've attempted to apply mortar to the back of the mosaics. The mortar is almost certain to ooze through and contaminate the grout joints and make for a lengthy, lengthy clean up.

If you're going to mount mosaics to a substrate to gain thickness, it's much better to apply the mortar to the substrate and lay the mosaics down into that.

But let's ask about the material your mosaics. What is the tile made out of, how big are they, and what is the thickness difference you're trying to make up?

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Eddy, that bonding of mosaic size tiles to a separate material and bonding that material to your wall backing is a common method of dealing with the different thicknesses of tile, but cork is not among the materials I would ever suggest using in a wet area. There are a number of suitable materials that would serve, depending upon your response to Goldstein's questions.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thanks to both of you for your quick answers.

I don't have the dimension of the tiles on hand. My order is going to come in tomorrow or Wednesday. I'll be in a better position to answer that question once I have to tiles.
The only thing I know is that the cork is 6mm thick and the mosaics are hexagons and are about 1" x 1" and that they are made out of marble.
I will write back with the true dimensions soon.

Thanks
Eddy
Old 01-14-2019, 06:23 PM   #5
EDDY IN MONTREAL

My substrate is Kerdi Board.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

6mm is equal to approximately 1/4". You can get KerdiBoard in 1/4" and would be a possible better material for you than cork.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:00 PM   #7
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thank you very much for your replies. Very much appreciated!
I went with the suggestion to use Kerdi-Board since I am more familiar with it use. The only size I was able to get was 3/16".
Best Regards
Eddy
Old 01-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
makethatkerdistick

Ditra would work, too, to build up the difference. Might do two layers. But if your Kerdi board works, that's great, too.

Cork? Really?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #9
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Kerdi-board and the right mortar to use.

Hello everyone,

Trying to understand the difference between modified and unmodified mortars when using Schluter.
Schluter recommends using an unmodified mortar on Kerdi-board.

My ceramic store told me it's best to use a modified mortar. He said that it will be best in applying the mortar to the walls, spreads easier and the drying time will be extended meaning I can work longer with the tiles.
I have watched and read many articles about the crystals that form when it takes the longest time to dry thus it forms a strong bond between the substrates and the ceramic tiles.
The rep at the store said that the modified mortar is OK up against the Kerd-board and porcelain tiles.

My question to you is, does this interfere with the water trying to escape between the 2 non porous surfaces??? Are my tiles going to stick forever? Did he recommenced the best product to use or should I really go with an unmodified mortar.
The bag of mortar they recommend is Mapie Ultralite. It exceeds Ansi A118.4TE, A118.11, A118.15TE and A118.15TE.

Looking forward in reading your reviews and comments about my question.
Thanks
Eddy
Old 01-20-2019, 07:13 PM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Eddy, this part of the same shower project with the SLC under the foam tray and the accent strip you were planning to mount on cork?

If you'll go to the Schluter Kerdi website and download their Installation Handbook you'll find a section describing their take on the use of various thinset mortar types. We customarily recommend you follow the manufacturer's recommendations in using all the products you'll have for your project. There are times when you'll have a choice between Schluter's recommendation and the recommendation of the tile manufacturer and most of the rest of the ceramic tile industry. Up to you to decide which recommendation you like best.

That said, it is pretty commonly known that many modified thiset mortars work quite well with all of Schluter's products and that you might find them easier to use. There are, however, some unmodified mortars that are very comfortable to use, one of the better ones in my estimation is Ditra Set from Bostik. Each of the major tile installation product manufacturers, with the possible exception of Custom, makes at least one good quality un-modified bonding mortar.

Who is "(your) ceramic store" who recommended the MAPEI product?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:46 AM   #11
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thank you CX for your reply.
I can not get Bostik here in Canada. I cancelled my order for Mapei and I ordered Schluter non modified mortar. Only a difference of 8$ a bag. At least I'll have peace of mind.
Once again thanks.
Eddy
Old 04-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #12
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Niche and trowel advice please.

Hello everyone.
I must say that everyone who commented on my past posts has greatly helped me to accomplish my bathroom tile job so far. I recently finished tiling my heated floor and shower pan. Everything went super well!

I need some more advice on how to proceed with my niche and what trowel I should use to install my tiles on the wall.

1- I will be installing a metal trim all along the outside of the niche. The niche is a 12 x 20 Schluter box. The trim I am using is Schluters Quadec 12.5mm x 2.5mm or 1/2"x8'2.5". Can I install the trim first (let it dry) and then install my tiles inside the niche. I am not in a hurry. I assume that if I were to install the trim first, I would have to accommodate for the tile thickness inside the box so that the trim arrives flush. Is there an easy way of doing this? Keeping in mind that I am just a weekend warrior. Just to let you know, I had a tiler in to look at the job and he wanted 1400$ to tile the Shower floor, Niche, and the shower walls.

2- Tiling a niche. From what I read, I need to install the back tile first, then the bottom tile second, the side tiles third and then the top tile last. Is this correct?

3- Trowel size. What is the appropriate trowel size for tiles measuring 12x24 and just a hair short of 3/8 thickness?
My tile supplier said to use 1/4 x 3/8 x 1/4 and to back butter the tiles with a thin coat. Also, keep in mind that I will be using tile wedge levelers.

Looking forward to your interesting responses.
Many thanks
Eddy
Old 04-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #13
rmckee84

1. Yes. I use hot glue to tack it temporarily. You can do that if it's outside the niche then finish the inside and adjust if necessary. ($1400 is Pretty cheap in my opinion) Standard 3x5 shower with a niche I'm around $3500 labor.
2. No right or wrong, usually depends on the material and how things layout.
3. You can start with that and check your coverage. I usually go with 1/4×1/2 u notch, 1/2x1/2, or euro notch
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #14
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Thanks, Ryan for taking the time in replying. Very helpful information.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #15
EDDY IN MONTREAL

Ledger board and using leveling wedges.

Hello again.

I have probably one last question before tiling my shower wall. I would like to start 30 inches up from the shower floor with a ledger board. The space below the ledger board would accommodate for a later install of (2x12 inch tiles and one 6 inch tile).

My question is how can I place my leveling wedges that are in a "T" shape on all 4 sides of my tile if it is up against the ledger board.

I am trying my best to describe what I am needing. If there is any confusion, PLEASE let me know and I'll try and explain it better.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase