Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #16
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
FWIW, Jesse, I used Versabond to set my 12X24 porcelain tiles over Ditra heat.

About a week later I managed to chip one of those tiles so had to remove and replace it. The Versabond was completely dry.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #17
bellabella

It sounds like versabond plays well with Schluter products and other waterproofing products. You need to figure out how important the Schluter warranty is to you. Unmodified will also work well is most applications. If it is sandwiched between two impervious layers the thinset will have plenty of hydration to cure properly.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

www.bellavistatile.com
bellabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 02:16 PM   #18
TileStuff

I don't think Schluter would warranty my work anyway, I assume I would have to be certified by them to install their product. Was going to try my own test with versabond in a sealed container, but looks like I don't have to, thanks Dan.

Going to start my shower floor here momentarily. Deciding to just leave the mud bed bare as advised and let the PVC liner do the work. I guess it might be a bit hard to get the first row of wall tile level overtop the slightly varying river rocks, but I think it'll look better that way than butting the river rocks against the already laid wall tile and having a more perceivable gap at the bottom. Hopefully I'm not creating a huge headache for myself by going this route.

I have a feeling that I should grout the river rock floor too, before I start walking around on it to install the wall tile, what do you guys figure?
Old 03-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #19
bellabella

I may be wrong, I don't think you need to be certified for the warranty to be valid. You just need to follow their procedures to the letter.
If it were me, I would lay the floor last, but I am no pro.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

www.bellavistatile.com

Last edited by bellabella; 03-28-2019 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:04 PM   #20
cx
Da Home Builder

You don't need any sort of certification to be covered by the Schluter product warranty. You also don't need the Schluter product warranty. Any failure you have with those products will be an installation error of some kind.

Lots of us have tried curing VersaBond in doubled ZipLock bags and it cures just fine.

I would surely not install that rock floor before I had finished tiling the walls and probably grouting them, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 11:52 PM   #21
TileStuff

Yeah, I started laying it out a bit, and although I'd prefer the look of the wall tile overlapping the floor tile, I realized how hard it would be to get the first row of tiles level, going to do the walls first.

Why do you suggest also grouting the walls before tackling the floor CX? Just the obvious in case I drop some onto the floor, or some other reason I'm not thinking of?

Got myself a wedge leveling kit today, got the linear bearings, fence, and blade all squared up on the new wet tile saw, and going to have my first go at tiling tomorrow. Using 13" porcelain and going with a 1/16th grout line. Hopefully it goes well!
Old 03-29-2019, 08:05 AM   #22
cx
Da Home Builder

Damage to the shower floor, Jesse.

Old 03-29-2019, 09:08 AM   #23
bellabella

In my limited shower installing experience, I set a ledger board to lay the second row of wall tile. After all the wall tile is laid up and set then I remove the ledger then lay the floor then cut the first row to fit the floor. I've used the schluter profiles to trim the inside corners.

www.bellavistatile.com
Old 04-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #24
TileStuff

I ended up using a ledger board. Worked pretty well, and allowed me to line up from the niche, which turned out nice. I just have the row of tiles along the ceiling and along the floor to do now. I goofed though and din't put the tile leveling spacers in along the ledger board before putting the tiles on, and now of course I can't get them into the hardened thinset. Oh well, suppose I'll have to manually level that row, at least it's way down out of eyesight.

What grout would you guys recommend I get? I just used the QEP tile leveling spacers, which say 1/16", but it's more like 1/8" because of the slight factory bevel on the tiles. I've also done miter cuts around the niche, curb, and one side of the shower, and I would like to grout instead of caulk those outside corners if possible. Planning to use some sanded caulk for the inside corners.

For the river rock floor, I've heard there is grout specifically for this application. Hopefully I can get it in the same colour as the grout for the walls, and also the caulk.

With the wall tile laid first, and the river rock floor laid up to the walls, I imagine I should also caulk this uneven joint? I suppose I do that first before grout? Or if not how do I keep the grout out of the caulk joint before caulking?

Sorry for the million questions, learning as I go here.
Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #25
cx
Da Home Builder

jesse, you always wanna grout and let that cure before you apply your flexible sealant.

On that river rock floor to wall tile joint, you'll either need to put something against the walls to stop the grout or scrape a joint before you grout sets.

If I were completely honest I'd tell you I would forego the flexible sealant and simply grout the floor all the way to the walls. But, not being completely honest, I'm not gonna tell you that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
TileStuff

Thanks for being honest CX, I was hoping someone would tell me to just grout it.

I hear to use caulk for all changes in plane, but it looks like most people use grout on outside mitered corners, like around the niche. Is this another being honest situation?
Old 04-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #27
cx
Da Home Builder

For me, yes. I've always grouted such corners.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #28
TileStuff

I know I should definitely use a sanded grout for the river rock floor, but what about my 1/16 spaced joints that are more like 1/8 because of the bevel on the tile? I picked up a bag of polyblend sanded grout but it says 1/8-1/2. Will the sanded grout be ok for this application, where at the back of the tile the gap is only 1/16th? Maybe I am just over thinking this? Trying not to make any costly or time consuming mistakes.

I've also read that I should seal the river rock floor before grouting, and then possibly again after? What's going on here? Trying to understand the process, but I can't find any explanations offered.

Thanks for all the help thus far.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:36 PM   #29
Kman

Laticrete Permacolor Select is a grout that can be used for either of those grout joints. It's a good quality grout that I've used several times, and twice in my own home.

Go to the Laticrete website and see if you can find a dealer near you.

It's a much better grout than what you have there.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #30
Kman

Here's their dealer locator.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase