Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 03-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #1
tma77

Tile Redi Pan Mosaic Tile Cuts

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on how to lay mosaic square tiles in a Tile Redi pan. The issue is that the drain is close to the edge and there is quite a steep angle to the drain. The tiles won't lay flat so I opted to cut the mosaic tiles to match the slope angle.

I've attached some pictures to show you what I am talking about. Note that the top rows have not been thinset in place yet so it isn't spaced out nicely. Is there a better way to do this so that the mosaic tiles lay flat and flush? Wife thinks it looks weird.

Thanks,
Attached Images

Old 03-22-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
makethatkerdistick

Not a fan of this pan and the weird planes it creates. It would have looked better if you had shaped a mud bed instead of this pan. I'll let others chime in on this as I have no experience with this sort of pan.

What's your waterproofing? It seems you have some Kerdi strip on the curb that is penetrated with screws. Then, on top there is a layer of Redgard, trying to cover those screw heads. I am concerned about the integrity of this system (or the lack thereof).
Old 03-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
tma77

Concerns noted. I realize this pan is unpopular and would get comments about it. Already did a pond test and the screws you see will be covered with kerdi with kerdi fix. I got the pan for practically free which why I used it but didn't realize the weird slopes would be an issue.

Thx.

Last edited by tma77; 03-23-2019 at 06:54 AM.
tma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:17 AM   #4
speed51133

for tile redi pans you use an epoxy adhesive to attach the floor tiles. Keep that in mind. you shouldnt need to kerdi any part of it.

I do not think you should be cutting them into wedges like you are doing. I would go to their website and look up instructionals. Just spread the epoxy with the appropriate notched trowel and set the tile sheets on it. The epoxy should be thick enough to make up for the angles. You dont need the tiles to be dry set with 100% contact.

I have never used a tile redi pan, but i have seen them at shows and inspected them at Menards (a box store)
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
RipRap

With a rectified and narrow spaced mosaic like that, I think you are doing about the only thing possible. It is a tough choice.

A smaller and more pillow shaped tile with wider spacing would have a better chance to flow with the pan.

With that drain arraignment I doubt you would be in much better shape with a mud pan and that tile.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T
I got the pan for practically free which why I used it...
Might also be a good reason to abandon that receptor, center your drain, and create a mud bed for your receptor, eh?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:43 PM   #7
tma77

Thx. Yeah I have a nice drain that I need to mud in place. Looks a lot better than what came with the pan. Next shower I do, I will be using the Kerdi System. This pan was a pain the butt. I have to say though, the epoxy thinset is awesome. It sticks so well!
Old 03-23-2019, 08:14 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never used that type of base and drain. Does the top grate screw down far enough to be flush with the tiles? Must be real thin.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #9
tma77

Wash/Clean Subway Tile

Hi All,

Quick question. I just bought subway tiles and I notice that the back of each tile is dusty and has some residue on it. I can wash it off but washing 800 pieces is a bit of a pain. Should I wash it off? I am worry that it will affect adhesion to the thinset.

Thanks,

Trung

Last edited by tma77; 04-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #10
cx
Da Home Builder

Yes, Trung, you need to clean the back of your tiles before setting. Even if it's a PITA.

This for your shower project?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
tma77

Thanks for the response. Yes it's for the walls, including the shower. I was hoping I wouldn't have to but I don't want tiles falling off.

I have some extra thinset (Flexbond LFT) that I would like to use for the subway tiles since I have almost a full bag left. It was originally used for large format tiles on the floor. Is it a big deal of I switch to a different thinset when I use it all? Or should I keep the same thinset for the whole wall installation? Don't want to waste the bag. I figure for small subway tiles it shouldn't matter but would like the pro's opinion.

Trung
Old 04-05-2019, 12:51 PM   #12
Lou_MA

How long has that bag been opened?
Old 04-05-2019, 01:00 PM   #13
tma77

About a two weeks, kept in a dry area.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #14
Lou_MA

Should be fine to use. Also fine if you need to switch to a different thinset partway through the set.
Old 04-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #15
tma77

Great, thanks. I did have a mis-hap with old thinset. I had some sitting in the garage for about a year and used it for the large tiles on the floor. Needless to say it didn't set and the tiles popped up pretty easily. It was my fault though as I noticed there were clumps in the thinset when I was mixing it. Should have realized that it had already set in the bag.

The only good thing was it was easy to scrap off the floors and tiles. Now I check the date when I buy thinset, buy when I know I will use it ASAP, and keep it out of the garage. Same issue with silicone caulking.

Last edited by tma77; 04-05-2019 at 01:36 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase