Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 12-22-2018, 11:59 AM   #76
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEN3MA
Does it all balance at the end in terms of dollars/man hours?
how much is you time worth to you and do you have another shower or are you taking a bath in the kitchen sink? Everyone always tells me that time is money and I think that is true to a extent but if I can save a buck and spend a extra hour or two then I would rather save the money. For example the foam board are more expensive than using durock and the membrane but they are definitely faster, unless I am behind schedule I stick with the durock and the membrane, it takes a bit longer but I still got some jingle in my pocket. I have used the foam trays and I thought they were great when I first learned about them but I quickly realized that they can be more work then a mud bed if the drain isn't exactly where it should be or if the floor isn't level, then it is faster to just mud and cover it with the membrane
Old 12-22-2018, 01:19 PM   #77
AEN3MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by smifwal
how much is you time worth to you and do you have another shower or are you taking a bath in the kitchen sink?
We live in a 2 bedroom, 2 bath. We hardly use the bathroom I am about to remodel. I can take my sweet time. I've been demoing it after work slowly since I am in no rush. With that said, I have a baby on the way in June and I don't want it to not be complete by then. I'm hoping it is all complete in 2 weeks or so.

The drain is in the middle of the current pan. The current pan is 5 feet long by 2.5.

See image below.
Attached Images

Last edited by AEN3MA; 12-22-2018 at 03:17 PM.
AEN3MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 02:10 PM   #78
greenjp

What's with the studs (or lack thereof) on the right side?

The foam boards are not the same thing as a surface applied membrane. Some companies make both things though. Schluter for instance makes "Kerdi" which is a fabric membrane that can be applied over a mud bed or onto drywall or cement board to make it waterproof. There's a special drain that goes with it. They also make something called "Kerdi board" which is a waterproof foam board. You can use it on the walls instead of drywall/cement board with Kerdi.

Wedi is pretty much only foam boards with foam shower bases. The connections are all done with their sealant (it comes in tubes for a caulk gun) rather than a fabric like Kerdi. They make a 60"x36" base which you could trim to fit your space. It's not inexpensive but assuming the floor in your location is flat could be very fast and is very easy for a first time DIYer to do correctly.

All of these companies (Schluter, Wedi, Laticrete, etc) have great information on their websites. Very detailed product data and installation instructions. Suggest picking a couple and reading through them so you can get a sense of what the different products are and how they're installed.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #79
speed51133

give us an all-in budget (not including plumbing fixtures and tile since these can vary so much).

I think we can then tell you if the foam board approaches or surface membranes accommodate that budget in terms of raw materials. I think the foam board technique is awesome, but all the parts really add up fast. If you do not have time constraints in getting the job knocked out in a day or two, you can save lots of money by using drywall and kerdi membrane.

For example, if going the kerdi foam board approach: a 4x8 sheet of kerdi foam board is like $110 (you will need like 3 or 4). Then you still need the kerdi fasteners (maybe 30 bucks), kerdi seam tape (another 40 bucks), a tube of kerdi fix (20 bucks). most likely, 4 inside corner premade dams (40 bucks), 4 premade outside corners for the curb (40 bucks), about 75 bucks for a kerdi foam curb, $100 for the drain, $100 for the foam tray, 30 bucks a bag for the thinset (you will need like 3 or 4). It just adds up quick. The main benefit of all this is you can throw it all up in one afternoon (if you know what you are doing) and start tiling the same day. I think this is why professionals think the price tag is worth it. They can be in and out fast and on to the next job. For a DIYer with a second bathroom, this is not really a big deal.

Last edited by speed51133; 12-22-2018 at 03:02 PM.
speed51133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #80
AEN3MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed51133
give us an all-in budget (not including plumbing fixtures and tile since these can vary so much).
~$700 for shower system (this includes everything just for the waterproofing the shower, etc...
Old 12-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #81
AEN3MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed51133
What's with the studs (or lack thereof) on the right side?
Attached Images

Last edited by AEN3MA; 12-22-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #82
Kman

You can either buy a kit with the foam tray for that money, or some sheetrock and Kerdi membrane with a mud floor for less. Put the rest on a Kerdi niches or a bench or something.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:46 PM   #83
AEN3MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman
You can either buy a kit with the foam tray for that money, or some sheetrock and Kerdi membrane with a mud floor for less. Put the rest on a Kerdi niches or a bench or something.
Yeh, I'm interested in one of those shower niche's and a triangle floating shower bench.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #84
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Just finished a hybrid system for a 3x5 shower.
6 Hydro Ban boards $170
Kerdi pan with membrane $70
Kerdi drain $98
Hydroban band $38
Niche$50
2” foam board for triangle bench and curb about $30 worth
Sealant $40
Hydro Ban for seams, fasteners about $30
Done

But it’s a hybrid system with two different manufacturers so I wouldn’t recommend that for you for your first go-round. But I know how to do it and make it work 100% of the time so I’m not concerned about failure. But it gives you another idea of how much it cost to do a waterproof shower system that is in my opinion far superior to a cement board shower without liquid applied waterproofing

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #85
AEN3MA

Ok, fellas I'm back from vacation and after watching 10+ Sal DiBlasi videos, I'm feeling a bit confident and ready to undertake this bathroom project. I will be posting pictures so you guys see what I'm doing and can point out any flaws in my procedure.

I have completed demo (toilet will be out soon).

I will be using the mud method since I went over budget on nice tiles by about $1000 (wife's request).

My next step is to figure out what I need to do with the subfloor (see images below), bathroom floor, shower floor (below 1st layer of mud). I see all these Kerdi Orange layer that some people but in bathrooms. Will I need to purchase that here?

The cement in the bathroom floor held nicely when I removed the floor tiles, minus by the toilet, as in one area it has a huge fracture. Do I just repatch that small fracture with with mud or do I have to rip everything out and redo the floor with a new layer of mud?

Last question, the original builders put 2 layers of drywall on. The first layer had the tiles, the 2nd layer I'm assuming was to make the walls come out more since they messed up on their shower pan dimensions. Should I go ahead a rip out the 2nd layer of drywall? I have purchased 9 sheets of 3x5 CBU (Calculated plus bought 1 extra).
Attached Images

Last edited by AEN3MA; 01-02-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #86
BelkTile

Extra Cost upfront is better

We used to be a firm believer in doing the traditional mud pan, it is honestly a lost art. I was introduced to the Kerdi system about 5 years ago and there is more of an upfront cost, but it helps with labor and just the worry if the guys did it right and folded the rubber underneath properly and the shower drain was seated properly. My advice, go with the pre made system!

https://www.belktile.com
BelkTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #87
AEN3MA

Posts like this just confuse me.

I've been going back and forth trying to figure what system to use and when I finally make my decision, someone will post "Do it the opposite way". Just leads to a lot of indecision and no action being taken.

Seems like everyone has their own way of doing things and to do it a different way is taboo.

One of the main guys on this forum said doing your own Mud has been done successfully countless of times. There are even entire sections on this forums on how to do it.

Last edited by AEN3MA; 01-02-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 PM   #88
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Josh, all we can do is give you our opinion based on our perspective. Mike gave you his opinion. In my corner of the world I see more mud bed installations than all the others combined.

I would go with the method you feel the most comfortable installing. We see failures with all the systems because they weren't installed correctly. All the approved methods will last if installed right. I would go with the method you feel the most comfortable installing. Post plenty of pics here and we will help you each step of the way.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM   #89
AEN3MA

Thanks, will do.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:56 PM   #90
AEN3MA

Question. I went back and reread a lot of this thread.

I have already bought the durock for the walls. What will eliminate the need to use a PVC Linear? If I want to avoid using the linear PVC method due to the extraordinary amount of work, what can replace this linear so I have have to deal with working around the metal studs. I'm trying to go as traditional as possible, but I don't want to get a leak due to the bumping and corners of the PVC.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase