Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-22-2019, 09:12 PM   #211
makethatkerdistick

I wouldn't pick white for Spectralock, just as a preventative measure. I picked the lightest silver grey they had. Looks good. In terms of yellowing through sun exposure, it depends on the window. Many modern windows with low-E coating eliminate most of the UV radiation. What window glass do you have?

A little late to cancel your Spectralock order, isn't it?

PS: Just looked at my 30 year old Lego toy I recently gave to my son. The white pieces have yellowed a bit too. It's still every bit as good.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:50 AM   #212
Radas
Tile Newbie

Haha nah I think I'll still do the inside of the shower in white or light gray spectralock and do that outer half wall in mapei flexcolor cq or custom's premix in white or light gray, that stuff doesn't yellow at all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools
Radas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #213
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Lookin really, really good Ali. Clean, precise, with obvious thought to the layout. For me the contrasting stone really sets it off.

Re the glass and SL - let us know how it goes. I'm putting up a 6" high row of glass and was going to use SL to grout it. Now I'm wondering if I should.

Can totally relate to the time issue. Job, yard work, vehicle and house maintenance, etc...haven't been able to work on mine for a couple of weeks.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #214
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thank you Dan - the touch of OCD definitely helps in these situations. Your project has been an inspiration to take my time with this shower. Typically months-long projects like this frustrate me to the point of taking shortcuts that I end up regretting later

I did more reading on the glass and SL since nobody had chimed in yet and SL's literature says that SL is OK over glass. I don't remember now where I saw not to use SL over glass but I'm going to take the plunge and go for it.

I've used flexcolor cq over glass in the past (coarser quartz sediment) and while it did produce some swirls, they were not noticeable unless you were inches away from the tile with the right lighting. With that being said, I think the finer sand in SL should be fine.

You're telling me - time has not been on my side lately. With Ali jr on the way and Mrs. Ali taking it easy, I have too many hats to wear.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:58 AM   #215
ss3964spd

If you get the timing right you can celebrate the birth of the new baby and shower at the same time.

Yea, I've suffered the same fate; the longer a project drags on the more apt I am to just git er done, with a corresponding reduction in quality. But this bathroom project has been going on for so long I feel like it just doesn't matter anymore how long it takes. I want it as right as I can make it, timeline be damned.

Thanks for the research on the SL. Makes me feel better, though I also read here, somewhere, that it might scratch polished porcelain. I may have to make up a test board and thaw out the blob of SL I have in the freezer.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:08 AM   #216
Radas
Tile Newbie

That's more motivation to get the shower done quickly

I don't know Dan... if nicking polished porcelain a dozen or so times with a rigid scraper didn't scratch it , I don't know if SL will. If you do your test within the next week or so, post it up.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #217
Radas
Tile Newbie

I read up on here how to test SL against glazed polished or polished porcelain.

Take a little bit of part C and rub it into the face of the porcelain or glass similar to how you would with the rubber float. If it scratches, then use something else. If it doesn't, then

Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #218
ss3964spd

That would require purchasing a container of part C. Will do that if I have to.

I'm gonna try to thaw the small-loaf sized bit that I have left over from the floor. It's wrapped in plastic and tin foil. If nothing else, doing so will keep Mrs. Dan from trying to cook it, thinking it's edible left overs.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #219
Radas
Tile Newbie

Quote:
If nothing else, doing so will keep Mrs. Dan from trying to cook it, thinking it's edible left overs.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:09 AM   #220
Radas
Tile Newbie

I cleaned the recently tiled area and made myself a tool using a drywall knife and angle grinder to screed 1/16" of medium bed across the accent tile field. I'll need one more coat to fill in some dips and ridges but the process wasn't bad overall. Thinset is much harder than drywall mud to tool, if this was drywall mud, I'd be done already...

I also installed the body spray mount in a standard showerhead location (roughly 78") so it clears my head (I'm 6'1") and Mrs. Ali can still reach. This is also convenient if we decide to run the hand shower as a regular shower head.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:24 AM   #221
Radas
Tile Newbie

Question for anyone who has built up thinset for accent tile installs.

How long should I wait in between 'layers' of medium bed? How long before I can use modified and set tile?

Old 05-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #222
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If the stripe tiles are mosaics then you want to get the surface as close as you can to perfect, allowing about 1/16 for thinset. It's worth the extra time because mosaics are next to impossible to butter out. I like to use a lattice stick with a notch on each end. A rubstone will smooth out the thinset once it has set to fine tune it. Sometimes I'll add a little thinset 2 or three times until I'm happy with it. It's worth the time spent. Bumpy and crooked mosaics will look bad, don't want that.

Edit ; To answer your question, let the thinset firm up real well before you fool with it. A fan blowing on it helps. Might only take an hour or two. They do make patching material for this that sets faster and is actually made for this.

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 05-24-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: add info
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #223
Radas
Tile Newbie

Thanks Davy, I'm going with 4x12 glass tile in a 1/3 running bond pattern and planned on using a 1/8x1/8x1/8 square notch trowel to achieve 1/16" of depth using flexbond.

How long do you wait in between coats?

Just bought a rubstone a few minutes ago

After my screeding is complete, I'll be left with 1/16" - 3/32" of empty void for thinset.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 AM   #224
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ok, that should be easier than working with mosaics. 3/16- 1/4 notch should be about right

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 05-24-2019 at 05:34 PM. Reason: add info
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #225
ss3964spd

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase