Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 02-11-2004, 04:55 AM   #31
dwzemens

FOR DAVID TAYLOR

Here is a "back of the head" photograph of the architect, designer, construction manager and grunt labor studying the aforementioned corner bench design problem. It took alot of studying ...
Attached Images

http://www.1955design.com/
dwzemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 05:03 AM   #32
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Wow Dave, i havent seen a level that clean for a very long time
Looks great!!
You mean you didnt plan that into the bench??
I knew i should have talked to john about adding to the standing around principal.
Something like

When a layout comes out perfect ,or an adjustment in design after the fact works,never under any circumstances let on that it wasnt part of your initial plan.A true tileman always intends for things to happen just exactly the way they happened.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:21 AM   #33
David Taylor

Dave, you have the pencil at precisely the correct angle. Good job. One more thing I didn't talk about: put the handle of the trowel on the outside of the bucket.

I'm with Todd... always allow room for adjustment in the plan up until you put the last tile on.

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 09:35 PM   #34
dwzemens

NO PICTURES TODAY

Sorry, no pictures today. Patience, Grasshopper, for tomorrow there will be more pictures.

Question, though, as I progress toward some more trim work: I intend to use a marble shower curb sill. Would you normally install the marble sill and then finish the wall tile down to the sill, or would you normally finish the wall tile and then place the marble sill?

Also, any idea how many bags of "deck mud" from the masonary supply store would be necessary to do a 30" x 60" mud floor? There will be 2 1/4" at the perimeter and 1 5/8 at the drain?

Thanks, as usual, for the advice.

Old 02-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #35
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It's looking good Dave. I'd install the sill last, I like it to overhang the tile 1/4-1/2 inch inside and out.

I'm not sure how much is in each bag but I'd guess 3-4 bags, maybe 5.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 04:51 AM   #36
dwzemens

One More Photo

Thanks, Davy.

I woke up this morning and noticed that one of the tiles I put on last night (about 9 hours ago ) was NOT in the right place. In other words, I am using a brick design and one of the tiles was placed so that the alignment of the grout lines was even with the one above it, not staggered! This has happened a couple times, as my eye plays tricks and I have set the tile wrong. But, it has been 15 or 20 minutes, and I pulled it off, and all was well.

CRISIS TIME! I have ruined the tile job .... So I got out the trusty stiff bladed putty knife and with considerable effort was able to get the tile off. I sure was glad about that. However, I was left with the funny feeling that the thin set should have completely dried by that time. I am glad it had not, don't get me wrong. It is a lesson in how much longer it takes the thin set to dry when it is applied over an impervious membrane like the Kerdi. This is clay tile, and I can certainly see how porcelin floor tile set over Kerdi will take a *considerable* length of time to completely set.

So, experts in the group, would you be suprised that I could get the tile off 9 hours after setting it. It was tough, and really required effort, but it came off in one piece. Thanks for the insight.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2004, 05:07 AM   #37
David Taylor

That doesn't surprise me. Although the thinset would set in a short time, cement products (in general) take at least 72 hours to gain most of their strength.

After 9 hours it would have set enough to make it difficult to remove, but not gained enough strength until later.

That's some fine-looking work, Dave. Be prepared for the inevitable: neighbors wanting you to do their tile work.

www.tile-experts.com -- Get Schluter products, like DITRA and KERDI, plus live help!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 06:02 AM   #38
peterd

Dave,

Your shower is really looking good. You should be proud.

How many hours a day do you put in working on the shower?

-Peter D
peterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #39
Dave Anderson
Lurker

I'm just curious to know if you're able to bathe as this might explain why you're not in more of the photos!?

Seriously, great looking job!

Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 02:33 PM   #40
dwzemens

Dave Anderson: Yes, I get to shower in the other bath. I try to get in there at least once a week, whether I need to or not!

peterd: The hardest part of the job was the destruction of the existing bath/tile. That took the longest, considering the plumbing and electrical was done during that same time frame. I took a week off work and worked LONG days to get that leg of the project done.

The Kerdi application to the walls took a couple days, and the tiling has taken me a couple of full days and two evenings to this point. It seems like I should have been able to tile a much larger area during that amount of time, but it is slow going. Making the cuts fairly accurate, and the cuts that don't come out accurate, take a while. So does the cleanup each day when working in small time blocks. I would like to get the last wall done during the next couple of evenings, but that might be a bit ambitious of a schedule considering that wall has the niches and the plumbing devices on it!

Thanks to both of you for the kind words. The project has been fun, and has come out well to this point. The camera does mask some of the less-than-perfect tiling, but it still looks pretty good!

Old 02-12-2004, 04:02 PM   #41
dwzemens

OK, you asked for it. Here is a photo of yours truly, dwzemens, dilligently working on the soon-to-be tiled shower.
Attached Images

Old 02-12-2004, 04:13 PM   #42
dwzemens

... and, a front photo of dwzemens in Las Vegas. I am the one on the right side of the photo.

OK, no more pictures of dwzemens. Only pictures of tile, frameless shower doors, and a mud floor that might get put in this weekend!
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2004, 05:28 AM   #43
dwzemens

.. one more photograph

Progress is continuing
Attached Images

Old 02-15-2004, 05:30 AM   #44
dwzemens