Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-01-2019, 11:22 AM   #1
dmypub

NEWBIE - installing new sink and countertop tile

I just bought a sink that can be undermounted or dropped in.

It's pretty square/rectangular.

I'd like to mount it as a "Tiled-In" flush mounted sink, so the
top of the sink is level with my countertop tile.

What are the pros and cons of a "tiled-in" sink ? Anything
bad I should know about before I do this ?

Thanks

Last edited by dmypub; 05-01-2019 at 02:54 PM. Reason: bad question
dmypub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #2
Just In Tile LLC

Only bad I know is tearing out tile to remove sink if needed...about to do the same thing for my client in a couple days.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:42 AM   #3
speed51133

how about seeing the edges of the tile if you set the sink first and tile over?
Old 05-02-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
dmypub

1/8 inch versus 1/4 inch notched trowel for countertop ?

Not sure if I should be using 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch notched trowel to apply thinset. Some sources indicate 1/8, some 1/4. What say you, wise sirs ? Thanks !
Old 05-04-2019, 10:26 AM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

What size are the tiles? The right trowel size is the one that will give you 100% coverage on the back side of the tiles. You will know this by lifting a freshly installed tile and looking at the thinset coverage.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:59 PM   #6
dmypub

Installing Schluter RONDEC STEP over plywood ?

I used hardiebacker on my 1 inch plywood countertop base. I bought "rondec step" to finish off my countertop edge. I wanted to put the "rondec step" edging over the top of 1 1/2 inch strips of hardiebacker.

BUT, I am not having any luck getting clean snaps on 1 1/2 inch cement board for the counter EDGE.

As an alternative to using cement board, can I just use 1/4 inch plywood as an edge base to put the "rondec step" on ?

If not, what are my alternatives for a base for my edge ?

I've attached a picture of my countertop, showing a 1 inch plywood edge.

thanks for any recommendations !

dmypub
Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
smifwal

Use a grinder to make your cuts, no fuss no muss but you will get dust so cut outside
Old 05-21-2019, 09:56 AM   #8
dmypub

Installing Schluter RONDEC STEP on Countertop EDGE?

I used hardiebacker on my 1 inch plywood countertop base. I bought "rondec step" to finish off my countertop edge. I wanted to put the "rondec step" edging over the top of 1 1/2 inch strips of hardiebacker.

BUT, I am not having any luck getting clean snaps on 1 1/2 inch cement board for the counter EDGE.

As an alternative to using cement board, can I just use 1/4 inch plywood as an edge base to put the "rondec step" on ?

If not, what are my alternatives for a base for my edge ?

I've attached a picture of my countertop, showing a 1 inch plywood edge.

thanks for any recommendations !

dmypub

Last edited by dmypub; 05-21-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: forgot
dmypub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM   #9
cx
Da Home Builder

Doug, I've again combined your new thread with your original thread for this project so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. Please don't start more new threads for this countertop project.

No, you can't use 1/4" plywood in lieu of CBU on the countertop edge. You can cut strips of CBU as Shawn has indicated and fasten them carefully to the edge. I would recommend you also use construction adhesive with your mechanical fasteners.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
makethatkerdistick

I love the idea of "Rondec step" but I don't love the material. This is a heavy traffic area and the aluminum Rondec will collect scuff marks over time. I am baffled why they don't offer this in actual stainless steel (like many of their profiles). Structurally, this will be fine. If you don't mind the idea of dings and scratches over time that you cannot polish out/refinish (as you could with stainless steel), then go ahead. Sure, the anodization makes it plenty strong but it remains a plated finish after all. I am not a fan of those.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
dmypub

Thinset vs Adhesive to attach cement board to countertop edge ?

I'm about to attach 1 1/2 inch strips of cement board to the edge of my countertop. What are the pros and cons of using a high grade construction adhesive to glue the cement board down ? Thinset seems like it will drip on the vertical surface, so I have to ask.. thanks
Old 05-22-2019, 08:21 PM   #12
smifwal

I think what you are asking is what CX was saying to do in post #9. pokey and then screw it down. You are tiling the edge right? you are going to be in the same predicament shortly unless someone gives you the go ahead to adhere your tiles the same way
Old 05-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #13
dmypub

Thinset vs Adhesive to attach cement board ?

thank you. No, I am not tiling the edge of my countertop. I am using Schluter "Rondec-Step" (annodized aluminum). I have seen Schluter instruction videos using construction adhesive to install Rondec-Step to countertop edges. So, I was wondering if I could also use construction adhesive to install my 1 1/2 inch cement board strips to the countertop edge. Then overlay the Rondec-Step to the cement board - it seems like it would be easier to work with on the vertical surface. Rondec-Step then goes over the top of the cement board.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:41 AM   #14
dmypub

Solved

Ok, got my answer off hardiebacker web site - "Can you use Liquid Nails with hardiebacker". I understand the issue now. thank you.
Old 05-27-2019, 07:59 PM   #15
dmypub

Do I really need to use a "tile leveling system" ?

My countertop is 24 inches wide. I have cut all my tiles and have them laid out on the countertop and have done a level check. There is one area where there is a bulge in the cement board that I never noticed - There's a 1/8 inch drop over the distance of one foot. Do I buy tile levelers, or is there another way to fix this problem ? I don't see any shims advertised that install under tiles. It looks like I need to build a very small area up about 1/8 of an inch. Do I just add more mortar to my cement board or is there a better method to bring the surface up 1/8 of an inch ? thank you for any advice.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase