Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #16
cx
Da Home Builder

You could ask Schluter (800-472-4588), Sandra, but I don't think the Ditra will help at all in that application. You'll need to send them photos, or refer them to this thread. They know their way here, they just won't post.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
why is that ? and not Geeks?
Old 05-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #18
speed51133

what if you cut out channels half way into the pads and epoxied in additional rebar that ties each pad together? Then fill the cracks with something like drypack and ditra the whole thing?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
cx
Da Home Builder

I dunno, Eric. Why do they allow the use of modified thinset mortars with their products in Europe, but not in the USofA? Guess they have reasons, but don't wanna share.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #20
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
I dunno, Eric. Why do they allow the use of modified thinset mortars with their products in Europe, but not in the USofA? Guess they have reasons, but don't wanna share.
We've been over this before...in Europe, they don't use the ANSI system. The system they use to define their mortars will tell you if it is a modified that needs to dry to attain proper strength in a reasonable time...the ANSI spec does not, so they can't just list one. They do make one they know will work, and there are others, but those manufacturers could easily decide to change their formulation while still keeping the same ANSI spec...then, you could have issues.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #21
foothill999

Humor me

What about using flexbone ui 720 the unboned uncoupling membrane?
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #22
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
Jim- then why not just call out the ISO mortar requirement ? most have both ISO and ANSI listed on the bag.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
cx
Da Home Builder

That "explanation" has always seemed to me to have the characteristics of a small, brightly colored smoked fish, to me, Jim.

Sandra, you can try anything you like in your application. While there is no standard at all in the tile industry for uncoupling membranes, one requirement that has been added a few years ago was the requirement (spelled out in the TCNA Handbook) that the membrane be bonded to the substrate with a shear strength of at least 50psi.

Your Ardex membrane would not qualify even for that, but the manufacturer thinks that's a good thing and it's up to you to decide. If you elect to go with a completely unbonded membrane, though, I'd recommend you save a good bit of dinero and simply use roofing felt. That's been done for many, many years for temporary tile floors in applications such as automobile showrooms.

Whether that would actually protect tile installation from failure in your particular application is rather seriously in doubt to my thinking. I've certainly been wrong before, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase