Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
UP_Builder

Maipei uncoupling mortar (gray) with beige grout?

Hi all!

New to the forum so still figuring everything out.

I am taking on a job doing a tile floor in a basement. I’ll be using 8x40 porcelain tiles set on ditra heat. I was planning on using schluter all set, but I found out it’s about 42 dollars a bag. I can get maipei uncoupling membrane mortar for about 15 bucks a bag so I’m leaning towards that for both below and above the ditra heat.

I have two questions. One, how do you all like it? I’ve never used maipei before. And two, I can only get it in gray. The grout is going to be a beige color from maipei. Will the gray thinset give me any issues? I’ve only ever used white thinset before.

Thank you much!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 AM   #2
rmckee84

1. I've never used that mortar, does it mantion anything about large format tile? For a tile your size you will want a medium bed mortar. I would not skimp on mortar. Not saying you have to use all set, but use an appropriate mortar for your situation.

2. The only issue would be if your joints aren't properly cleaned any grey thinset will affect your grout color. It could be splotchy.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:29 AM   #3
UP_Builder

It is marketed as suitable for large format tiles. It’s supposed to be a premium dry set mortar and is on schluter’s approved list. Just wanted some other opinions on it.

I’ll definitely make sure to keep the grout joints clean. I can’t recall the name of the grout but the homeowner picked out one of Mapei’s premium grouts.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Hey there Jake,

Uncoupling Membrane Mortar is perfectly fine for large tiles, and like you mentioned it checks all the boxes with Schluter's requirements for mortar too.

It is very similar to our Kerabond T mortar which has been battlefield tested for many years now. You shouldnt have any troubles!

Like Ryan mentioned, as long as you work clean and keep the mortar out of the joints you wont get any color issues with the grout from the mortar.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
UP_Builder

Thank you much! I feel much better about using it now. And saving about a $1000 on thinset ain’t too bad either🙂

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase