Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-19-2003, 02:52 PM   #1
lanadi

2 apps of Aquamix Penetrating Sealer + 1 app of Sealer Choice Gold?

This is what the home depots folks said regarging sealing the grout lines. Will this combo work? If not what is recommended? and how much sealer should i buy? I have 215 sq ft of 14"x14" poreclain tile I want to install?

Thanks,
D
lanadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-19-2003, 07:07 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm not the guy to answer this question, Dionne, but let me 'splain you how to avoid confusing some of the old guys hereabouts. Post all your questions on the same thread, no matter how different the questions might seem. Don't start a new thread with each new question. If you have additional questions, just post a Reply to your own thread. When you do that, or when someone else responds to your thread, it will automatically pop up to the top of the que and get noticed. You might wanna hit the Subscribe line near the bottom of the page so you'll get an email when somebody does respond.

I shoulda 'splained all that when I answered your email but I was in a hurry.

Oh, if you have more than one house you're working on, make a different thread for each one. That way we'll know the history of each of the projects.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2003, 11:24 PM   #3
Maurizio Bertoli

Dear D:
In most cases, when it comes to stone and products related to it, the HD people know less than nothing!!
As a general rule, you NEVER mix different impregnator/sealers! It helps their sales, but it doesn't help you!!
Ciao and good luck,
Unread 10-20-2003, 12:13 PM   #4
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Hi D

I know the reasoning behind their recommendation, but it is overkill. Products like Sealers Choice do a great job of holding staining materials out of the surface, but they show a slight darkening when water sits there for an extended amount of time. This is just surface wetting, due to vapor transmission and the natural porosity of the surface, but it is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Once the surface water is removed the area will dry (lighten) within a minute or two. If the surface were not sealed, it would take much longer for it to dry.

Lower cost penetrating sealers often do a better job of holding all water (vapor) out of the surface. They typically render the surface less porous and do not allow for as much vapor transmission as products such as Sealers Choice. But they come nowhere near the stain resistant qualities of a Sealers Choice either.

Basically, a penetrating sealer will exhibit great water resistance and very little (if any) oil resistance. An impregnator will exhibit great oil resistance and good water resistance. They were telling you to apply both so you will get the qualities of the impregnator without the vapor shadowing. Some manufacturers say this is fine as long as you are using compatible products (all theirs of course), and I agree, but it is overkill.

Use the impregnator alone (TYW Stone Armor, Sealers Choice) and use the time and money you save from not applying the penetrating sealer for something a lot more fun.

"There are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas Edison
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #5
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Yeah, we do sell a wonderful product here. We ain't gonna kick you outa the game if you buy someone else's, but.... why would you?
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:11 PM   #6
lanadi

what other product are you talking about? Educate me please.

D
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:18 PM   #7
lanadi

I just got it - Stone Armor
Is this stuff Parrot safe or do I need to evacuate the bird to the outside.
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:46 PM   #8
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Not exactly sure..... John Bridge is the one who has the ukelele playing parrot (or cocketielle). Maybe axe him. Maybe teach the bird to play ukelele.. It's a great question, something maybe this board hasn't come up against of late. Thank you for being a pain in the butt...... stand by... either John will be around, or one of the other pro's will be here to dissect... er... I mean direct you further

Seems to me you're gonna fit in just fine.
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:47 PM   #9
lanadi

How many 32 oz bottles of "Stone Armor" do I need for 215 Sq Ft of 14"x14" porcelain floor tiles?

Is there instructions for use or an MSDS available?

Thanks,
D
Unread 10-20-2003, 10:58 PM   #10
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Less than one

Yes, or we couldn't do biz.

Try it, you'll like it. If you sell it, we'll give you a comm...... ...... uhhh, well, if you sell it, we'd appreciate it. Really is good stuff. Axe Tim, he made the stuff. We just tried it out, and determined it was good enough for the TYW name.
Unread 10-20-2003, 11:47 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

Just keep the bird outa the stuff until it's dry, Dionne, you don't want it on your critters wet - or on yourownself very much. Says on the bottle you should wear gloves whilst using it. I don't, but I'm tough.

I don't know if your tiles require sealing (tell the big guys 'zackly what kind of tile you have) or just the grout. Normally you just dip the corner of a sponge in the stuff and wipe it on the grout lines, let it set for ten minutes or so, and wipe it all off with a towel. I use little disposable brushes to put it on shower walls and it works well. It's really easy to use and it goes a long way.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 04:50 AM   #12
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
And there's no gosh awful smell!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 09:35 AM   #13
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Hi D

I have a strong feeling you know a lot more about this subject than you’re telling.

Armor is not Teflon. I don’t know for sure what Sealers Choice is, but it doesn’t matter either way. The stories about birds passing on when exposed to Teflon may be true, at least I have heard this was the culprit, I just don’t know if it was ever proven. But in every case a Teflon coated frying pan was left on the stovetop, on high, for an extended amount of time. You see, Teflon has to be exposed to an insane amount of heat before it breaks down. We are talking heat that even a stovetop more than likely cant reach. Has it happed and caused a bird to go feet up? Sure, why not? But that is an exercise in extreme negligence on that persons side.

So, if you ever plan on your tile hitting 800 degrees or more, to be on the safe side I wouldn’t use it. Seeing how you already know how sensitive a birds beak is, no matter what you use, you need to keep the bird away from the area during application and at least a few hours after. Open the windows and put a fan on it to be on the safe side.

Glazed porcelain does not need to be sealed. Through body porcelain will benefit from an application or two. Seal the grout for sure. One 32 oz jug will take care of it.

"There are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas Edison
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2003, 11:27 AM   #14
Sonnie Layne
Da Poet

Naaahhh,

John would let his parrot drink this stuff, right John??? You just don't want to boil it and make tea. Otherwise, that bird would end up singing like me!!!!

Of course you can request an MSDS. I don't exactly know how to get a copy off the net, but you may be able to. You can of course request one via snail mail. Oh... if you have a copy of the MSDS for AquaMix, I'd like one. I used it a year or so ago and I'd like to add it to my files.

Tim, we got a spot for MSDS on the net? Maybe we should call Dave via can----string and see what's we can do.
Unread 10-21-2003, 04:09 PM   #15
lanadi

3 Questions:

1)In my tile calc, I forgot for factor the stove and dishwasher floorspace. But when I looked at the existing vinyl sheeting I realized that those areas do not have any. So should I try to install tile there anyways?

2a)Can you recommend any good websites with video clips or VHS videos that can show me exactly how the tiling process should flow from prep to completion (so I don't botch up my first tile job)

or

2b)Are there any northern CA - bay area folks out there that I can tag along on (as an observer) on your next tiling job?

3) John B. what kinda parrot do you own? I have a Yellow Nape Amazon Parrot.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase