Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-18-2008, 07:16 AM   #1
RollTideFan

What Thinset for Floor of Walk In Cooler?

Hey Guys,

Good to be back, I haven't vistited in a while. I hope all is well. I have a question.

I'm going to be starting a project tomorrow tiling the floor of our "Walk-In-Cooler" at our hunting cabin.

I was wondering what type of thinset would be best to use for the temperature ranges that would be subject in that type environment? The temp range should be between 35deg when in use, and up to 95deg when not in use (summertime).

Its a concrete floor now, so I will be tiling right over that.

We will be buying our stuff at Lowe's, so will one of the Mapei brands work? If so, which one? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Torrey
RollTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:22 AM   #2
Crestone Tile
Gonzo!

Hi Torrey,

Mapei's Kerabond with Keralastic would withstand the temp cycles ... you may have to special order it depending on how much of the Mapei line your Lowes' stocks.

"Shut it down!"
Crestone Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Torrey.

That temperature range is well within the range for exterior tile installations, so any thinset mortar suitable for exterior use (most) would be acceptable, so long as you do the actual installation above about 50 degrees fahrenheit.

Matt's recommendation of Kerabond is a good one. You could use the Keralastic with it if you want, but if your concrete's clean and not excessively slick of finish, the Kerabond should do fine alone.

With the anticipated temperature variations, using Ditra would be good insurance in there, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #4
RollTideFan

Thanks CT and CX. I really need to get this project done before the weekend is out, so is the Kerabond an off the shelf item at my local home box store? I really dont wont to have to order anything at this point.

Concrete is clean. I will be using a lite colored tile, ceramic or porcelean. Do I need to get a gray or white thinset? Latex modified?

Is the Kerabond a Latex modified thinset? I'm really not familiar with Mapei products. I buy most of my stuff at the local Tile store. I've always used DuraBOnd Duraflex thinsets.

Do I mix as a normal thinset? Creamy like peanet butter? Or, does it need to be thicker or thinner?

Thanks,
Torrey
Unread 09-18-2008, 09:48 AM   #5
RollTideFan

Hey guys, One more time any help with these ?

Is the Kerabond a Latex modified thinset?

Do I need a latex modified or un-modified thinset for this project?

Do I mix as a normal thinset (water only)? Creamy like peanet butter? Or, does it need to be thicker or thinner?

Thanks,
Torrey
Unread 09-18-2008, 10:20 AM   #6
Mike2

Torrey, Kerabond mixed with water is un-modified. Mixed with Keralastic (admix), it would be modified. Kerabond is not available from Home Depot. It use to be sold at Lowes but for the most part, I believe Lowes has replaced the Mapei line with Laticrete's.

If you want to go Laticrete at Lowes, get SpectraSet. Or, you mentioned Durabond availablity locally. In that case, go with D-25 Ditraset, or D-20 Porcelain Set.

By the way, there are many, many other brands that will work for your application. Give us a manufacturer and we can give you more choices.

Mix like a thick milkshake. I suppose that's somewhat like creamy peanut butter.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:11 PM   #7
RollTideFan

Mike, Hey man, how about Durabond Duraflex D40 white? Here is the data sheet. This is what I've used a ton of in the past, but all interior applications.

http://www.bostik-us.com/TDS/TDSFiles/D40.pdf
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:41 PM   #8
Mike2

D-40 should work just fine. Or maybe bump it up a notch to D-50 with a little more flex.

Whenever in doubt, give their Tech. Services a shout on 1-800 523-6530.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
RollTideFan

Smile

Thank You! You are the man!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase