Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-28-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Steve C.

Basement Bathroom

Hi,
Just tore out the old tile that was on a concrete slab. Got all of the thinset removed but also have some gouges in the concrete. Can I use a self-level compound to fix this or will I need to do other types of repairs. There is also an expansion joint.

I will be laying 6x24 tiles and will be using the Ditra uncoupling pad.

Thank you.
Steve
Attached Images

Unread 01-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #2
speed51133

That expansion joint may present issues. Was the previous tile cracked there? Ditra will help, bit it isn't designed for that specific issue.

I would use SLC on the whole thing. Wayyyy cleaner and easier than grinding it all down.
Unread 01-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Steve,

The joint is a problem, and going over it with any method is chancy. Ditra, although it is not marketed as a crack isolation membrane, is certainly a good idea, and I would use it. You can skip the SLC if the floor looks like the large size tiles will go over it, meaning if the pits are not large and deep. Make sure you get good coverage
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Just a thought, but if you are using 6x24" tile, you might want to consider having your grout joint (if possible) fall directly over the expansion joint and filling that joint with a matching color, sanded caulk...

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
Lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Steve C.

Thank you for the replies.

I had 12x12 porcelain tiles over the expansion joint before and there were no cracks...but now I'm a lot nervous using the 6x24s with the expansion joint. Not sure if it matters, but the house is 23 years old...so hoping all settling will have occurred by now. I will plan on having a grout joint at the same spot and use the caulking.

Would I caulk before or after I grout?

If I do go with SLC, is there any issue of it filling the void at the expansion joint? Same question for filling with thinset?

Thank you.
Steve
Unread 01-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #6
speed51133

No, but I would expect it to crack. Mark the walls/tub where the spot is and put the tile joint there. I would STILL use ditra.

Even though it settled, temperature and humidity makes the slab expand and contract.
Unread 01-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #7
D & D Reno

Would it be terribly unsightly to use a movement joint profile over the expansion joint, as opposed to a grout line or caulk line?
Unread 01-28-2020, 03:26 PM   #8
Steve C.

That might possibly work. Can you please send me a link to the product you are in reference as I don't have any experience with those. Thank you very much.

Steve
Unread 01-28-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
speed51133

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...SN/p/DILEX_KSN

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...S/p/DILEX_AKWS
Unread 01-29-2020, 05:14 AM   #10
Steve C.

DITRA or Noble CIS....Expansion or Control Joint

Okay...my wife nix'd the Schluter dilex. She works at a golf course and says they have that there and it will look too commercial for a small bathroom.

So, my current plan is to put the tile joint along the expansion/control joint and then use color-matched caulking. I've been reading other posts on the forum and some said to put grout there...and then if it cracks...then dig it out there and put caulking then. Sounds like unnecessary work.

Also, some of the forums talk about Noble CIS or TS. Should I use that instead of the DITRA?

And how do you tell if the joint is a control joint or expansion joint? I can't imagine that they would have 2 separate pours...but I have no way of knowing.

Thank you.
Steve
Unread 01-29-2020, 06:08 AM   #11
jerrymlr1

If the tile didn't crack there before I would do like mentioned and put a grout joint over the expansion joint but I would grout it. If it cracks later you can remove the grout and caulk it then. I would even prefer a hairline crack over a caulk joint that will be blazingly obvious in the middle of the floor.
Unread 02-01-2020, 08:18 AM   #12
Steve C.

Ditra

Just getting ready to tile this morning and realized I'm not quite sure where the Ditra should go relative to the expansion joint. So now on hold as the installation guide isn't clear for a layman. It does say that for Expansion Joints the Ditra is separated...so it sounds like maybe I want #1 below but I thought #2 was correct

1. Do I seam the Ditra at the expansion joint?

2. Or do I overlap the expansion joint with Ditra?

Thank you very much....

Steve
Unread 02-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Steve, I would very strongly recommend you visit the Schluter Ditra website, download, read and follow the manufacturer's Installation Handbook on the subject. I think the pertinent section begins on page 14.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #14
Steve C.

Thank you CX. I did read that but think my situation is a little different. I'm tiling a very small area (5'x6') and would not typically require anything other than the perimeter gaps which I intend to leave at least 1/2" (will be covered by base and shoe moulding).

The issue is that I have a control joint running right through the middle of the area which I fear may be an issue. The tile that was installed in 2006 did not crack and there was a grout joint running at the control joint.

I plan to do the same thing but still not sure how to lay the ditra. I will need 2 pieces...and wondering if I should seam the 2 pieces at the control joint...or run the ditra 90 degrees of the control joint where the ditra is placed over the control joint.

Thank you.
Steve
Unread 02-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #15
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If that's a control joint that was cut after the slab was poured, I would run the Ditra over the joint wall to wall, not leaving a Ditra joint over the control joint. I would grout the whole floor. To me, the important things are the floor didn't crack the first time and most likely there wasn't any crack protection used and also that the floor is so small. My answer would be different on a large floor.

How smooth is the slab? I would get all the thinset up off the slab using a grinder/cup wheel/vacuum set up or you might get lucky and get it all up with a 4 inch razor blade scraper from the big box store. I'd want a clean slab.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase